Bradley R. Smith, CODOH founder, died yesterday.

Discuss the alleged Nazi genocide or other wartime atrocities without fear of censorship. No bullying of fellow posters is allowed at RODOH. If you can't be civil, please address the argument and not the participants. Do not use disparaging alterations of the user-names of other RODOH posters or their family members. Failure to heed warnings from Moderators will result in a 24 hour ban (or longer if necessary).
Bankdraft

Bradley R. Smith, CODOH founder, died yesterday.

Post by Bankdraft »

Bradley R. Smith, founder of CODOH, passed away yesterday. I haven't been able to determine any of the circumstance surrounding his death but I know he'd battled cancer for several years. I corresponded with him a couple of times and he was very cordial.

SUPPORT RODOH!
Would you like to financially contribute to the upkeep of RODOH? Please kindly contact Scott Smith ([email protected]). Any and all contributions are welcome!

Scott
Site Admin

Re: Bradley R. Smith, CODOH founder, died yesterday.

Post by Scott »

Bankdraft wrote:
Bradley R. Smith, founder of CODOH, passed away yesterday. I haven't been able to determine any of the circumstance surrounding his death but I know he'd battled cancer for several years. I corresponded with him a couple of times and he was very cordial.
Howdy, Bankdraft. Yeah, I corresponded with Bradley Smith a number of times and at one time took his newsletter. He had infinite patience, and was maybe the most unpretentious guy that you could imagine. I never actually got to meet him as he didn't do so much traveling in the last few years. I'm kind of amazed that he lasted so long actually.

When I watched his interview with Jim Rizoli from December, 2015 I was shocked at how frail he seemed, but it was a good interview, and towards the end he had perked up and was the old Bradley.

RIP
:)

“So people are getting injured, and our job is to protect this business, and a part of my job is to also help people. If there’s somebody hurt, I’m running into harm’s way.
That’s why I have my rifle because I need to protect myself, obviously.
But I also have my med-kit.”

~ "Siege" Kyle Rittenhouse
(Kenosha, WI - 25 AUGUST 2020)

Bankdraft

Post by Bankdraft »

Hey, hey Scott, long time no see.

It's funny about Bradley, he was always reasoned and measured (as he is in this interview) whereas the guys at COHOH are often over-the-top and strident. Tell you what, I hope I'm as lucid and articulate (especially his writing) as him when I'm 85 years.

Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Bankdraft wrote:Hey, hey Scott, long time no see.

It's funny about Bradley, he was always reasoned and measured (as he is in this interview) whereas the guys at COHOH are often over-the-top and strident. Tell you what, I hope I'm as lucid and articulate (especially his writing) as him when I'm 85 years.
Yeah, his energy puts many to shame, me included. A good and principled life to be proud of I think. I really did admire his commitment to free-speech and Open-Debate.

“So people are getting injured, and our job is to protect this business, and a part of my job is to also help people. If there’s somebody hurt, I’m running into harm’s way.

Bob

Post by Bob »

Sad news, he will be missed.

By the way, did he explain somewhere why the Codoh is moderated and dominated by a certain person in the way we all are certainly familiar with? As I understand it, Codoh is Smith´s "child".

Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Bob wrote:
Sad news, he will be missed.

By the way, did he explain somewhere why the Codoh is moderated and dominated by a certain person in the way we all are certainly familiar with? As I understand it, Codoh is Smith´s "child".
Well, I was going to tell some basic stories going back over a dozen years now but it is not that important. I think Bradley Smith's legacy does continue on in many forms--one of which, perhaps with some irony, is RODOH.

The short version is that when some of the moderators quit and the old CODOH bbs was shut down around 2002 or thereabouts, Hannover, the remaining Mod, started his The Revisionist Forum on the old John Ball website. At about the same time I started RODOH in 2003, borrowing the coinage of the name from long-time Axis Historical Research forum poster Hans, now of Holocaust Controversies bloggers.

Bradley Smith was mildly taken aback by the existence of RODOH, and when he restarted a CODOH forum it merely lent its name to Hannover's Revisionist Forum. This gave "the CODOH seal of approval" to a very partisan discussion forum, as I saw it. Was this really OPEN debate?

When I asked Bradley why he would do such a thing he said that Hannover was the only one willing and ready to do the moderation for those kinds of back-and-forths, which Bradley was not really interested in bothering with. Obviously, Hannover was rewarded for his diligence and dedication--and I can hardly argue with that.

Bradley did have a lot of patience and endured many missives from me before we got to a kind of status quo. It took some time convincing Bradley that I considered RODOH a real tribute to open-debate and not necessarily competition with CODOH.

I never could entirely get Bradley to buy that argument or see things my way, but that is okay. It is a big tent. As a wannabe amateur historian with an actual BA degree in History, I don't see Revisionism to be a "Movement," but a research method like the Scientific Method, and I suppose Bradley didn't either. I think he held true to his convictions right to the end. It was not necessarily about fighting the Joos. That may or may not be important but it is beside the point that free-speech and open-debate are important and will always remain so in and of themselves.

Basically, as I see it, RODOH is a free-speech forum. And I have tried to follow a laissez-faire policy on forum moderation because free-speech is not something that you necessarily like or agree with personally--sometimes it can be messy and even ugly. I think that philosophy is the best one to have, short of absolute cosmic certainty about the Truth, and what passes for it.

Last edited by Scott on Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: grammar & spelling

Bob

Post by Bob »

Thank you for your input Scott.