Best WWII Movie and Worst

The RODOH Lounge is a place for general discussion, preferably non-Holocaust. The Lounge is only lightly moderated but please keep this a friendly place to chat with and get to know your fellow board participants.
Daniel

Best WWII Movie and Worst

Post by Daniel »

Assuming there is a best WWII movie I'd like to hear about it. The worst could include a movie specifically about the holohoax or WWII in general.

I'll throw Das Boot out there as the best. I haven't seen it for ages, so don't know how it holds up. Also I remember liking Eye of the Needle with Donald Sutherland.

Worst is harder because most movies suck, therefore there's so many from which to choose. Since Schindler's List has such prestige I'll make that my pick. Though I did enjoy it, from a pure entertainment angle. But I watched it as a well-made suspense movie, and ignored the propagandist aspect.

Would you like to financially contribute to the upkeep of RODOH, kindly contact Scott Smith. All contributions are welcome!

Huntinger

Re: Best WWII Movie and Worst

Post by Huntinger »

Daniel wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:02 am
Assuming there is a best WWII movie I'd like to hear about it. The worst could include a movie specifically about the holohoax or WWII in general.

I'll throw Das Boot out there as the best. I haven't seen it for ages, so don't know how it holds up. Also I remember liking Eye of the Needle with Donald Sutherland.

Worst is harder because most movies suck, therefore there's so many from which to choose. Since Schindler's List has such prestige I'll make that my pick. Though I did enjoy it, from a pure entertainment angle. But I watched it as a well-made suspense movie, and ignored the propagandist aspect.
I will add some TV series in here; Das Boot is now a TV series. Troll Hunter (Trolljegeren) made a thread somewhere on short movies often from the Reich perspective which I found here. I see Ju Tube has deleted many videos but a few are available. That is a good thread to put in TV series when K0nsl gets the rest of the darned streaming ability working :lol:
No pressure K0nsl, take your time..(might give you something to do in lockdown LOL.). I'm drinking all the wine I made over the last few years.

π•΄π–ˆπ– π–‡π–Šπ–—π–Šπ–šπ–Š π–“π–Žπ–ˆπ–π–™π–˜...π•Ύπ–”π–Ÿπ–Žπ–†π–‘ π–Œπ–Šπ–π–™ π–“π–šπ–— π•Ήπ–†π–™π–Žπ–”π–“π–†π–‘
Alle Trolljuden werden ignoriert

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Huntinger wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:31 am
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:02 am

I will add some TV series in here; Das Boot is now a TV series. Troll Hunter (Trolljegeren) made a thread somewhere on short movies often from the Reich perspective which I found here. I see Ju Tube has deleted many videos but a few are available. That is a good thread to put in TV series when K0nsl gets the rest of the darned streaming ability working :lol:
No pressure K0nsl, take your time..(might give you something to do in lockdown LOL.). I'm drinking all the wine I made over the last few years.
Ah thanks for the link. I did a quick search for movie threads but didn't find that. Perhaps the mods can merge this thread into that one.

I'll check out the Das Boot tv show.

The opening Normandy sequence (which lasts for about 30 minutes) in Saving Private Ryan was incredible, though I don't know how it holds up. The rest of the movie was Speilberg lathering on the sentimentality. I remembering laughing at Matt Damon's corny appearance.

Dunkirk was awful. No interesting characters. Just two hours of soldiers standing on a beach.

Inglourious Bastards was political correctness masquerading as something daring, which is what I expect from Weinstein's favorite director.

Life is Beautiful offended many Jewish groups, which you'd think would make it worth seeing. No, it sucked. Not a fan of Benigni.

Patton has a memorable performance, score, and some visuals. But it's very hokey, probably even for its time.

Valkyrie, Hacksaw Ridge, and The Way Back are a few more WWII movies I liked. I recently saw Midway and was surprised that it was halfway decent.

torus9

Post by torus9 »

I literally cannot watch films or TV anymore.

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

torus9 wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:13 am
I literally cannot watch films or TV anymore.
Did you say you haven't had a TV in 20 years?

You're not missing out on much. The time I've spent watching all but the very best TV and movies would have been better spent whittling wood.

As I get older I find myself enjoying pre-2000s BBC and BTF documentaries. The NASA-commissioned documentaries from the 60s are fantastic.

i just finished this BTF documentary on the construction of London's Victoria Line.

Getting back to WWII, I've heard that John Huston and John Ford made some "good" propaganda documentaries during the war. There's a scene in the recent movie Midway of John Ford yelling to his crew to get the cameras rolling just as the Japanese are attacking. I thought it was Hollywood make-believe, but it turns out it's based on a true account of Ford activities.
Last edited by Scott on Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: YT formatting

Sandhurst

Post by Sandhurst »

EDIT, as Sandhurst shows, even with the streaming features buggy on the board right now, you can still use YouTube formatting links...

Take the usual URL for a YouTube video clip and strip off everything but the identification code.

Code: Select all

https://youtu.be/lN0mh2dnyrg
EXAMPLE :

lN0mh2dnyrg

Then use YT in square brackets before the code and /YT in square brackets at the end of the code, instead of YOUTUBE and /YOUTUBE as you might normally do. (You can put it all in centering codes too if you want.)

EXAMPLE :

Code: Select all

[center][yt]lN0mh2dnyrg[/yt][/center]

Sorry about the hassle. Normally YouTube URLs format themselves with the right plugins working.

~ Scott
Last edited by Scott on Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: YT formatting
"Never argue with the data." - Sheen, Jimmy Neutron

torus9

Post by torus9 »

Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:23 am

You're not missing out on much. The time I've spent watching all but the very best TV and movies would have been better spent whittling wood.
25+ years. Films? The archetypal "hero's journey" is just another hollow myth - be it Christ, Frodo, King Kong, or some other inglorious bastard. Films provide no "escape" as I'm not seeking one. And contrived scenes of violence and death along with their attendant caricatures is the last place I would seek escape from my mortality. My own imagination is more fertile than the entire cesspool of hollywood combined. And I don't suffer the schizophrenic dilemma of a Tarantino who is compelled to draw inspiration from the objects of his loathing ala "basterds".

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Tx for fixing the link Sandhurst! Btw have you seen that documentary?

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

torus9 wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:51 am
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:23 am

25+ years. Films? The archetypal "hero's journey" is just another hollow myth - be it Christ, Frodo, King Kong, or some other inglorious bastard. Films provide no "escape" as I'm not seeking one. And contrived scenes of violence and death along with their attendant caricatures is the last place I would seek escape from my mortality. My own imagination is more fertile than the entire cesspool of hollywood combined. And I don't suffer the schizophrenic dilemma of a Tarantino who is compelled to draw inspiration from the objects of his loathing ala "basterds".
What's the last movie/tv show you remember seeing? Did you grow out of watching movies/TV or was the disdain always there?

torus9

Post by torus9 »

Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:19 am
What's the last movie/tv show you remember seeing? Did you grow out of watching movies/TV or was the disdain always there?
TV show? Not a clue. Film? I guess that would be The Two Towers, 17 odd years ago.
My disdain for television and its attendant "programming" began in my teens.