Danzig - 14th Century City?

The RODOH Lounge is a place for general discussion, preferably non-Holocaust. The Lounge is only lightly moderated but please keep this a friendly place to chat with and get to know your fellow board participants.
DabbingIsSoMuchFun

Danzig - 14th Century City?

Post by DabbingIsSoMuchFun » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:38 pm

From Inconvenient History, Why Germany Invaded Poland, by John Wear:

"What did cause conflict between Germany and Poland was the so-called Free City of Danzig. Danzig was founded in the early 14th century and was historically the key port at the mouth of the great Vistula River."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How did St. Adalbert of Prague baptize the inhabitants of Urbs Gyddannyzc,"which separated the great realm of the duke from the sea" in 997 then?
Holocaust-Leugnung ist keine Geschichte!

Scott
Site Admin

Re: Danzig - 14th Century City?

Post by Scott » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:57 am

Danzig was a Hanseatic city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanseatic_League

When Danzig was stripped away from Germany following World War I--in order to weaken Germany and to ultimately enrich Poland economically--the population was 98 percent German and only 1 percent Polish. So much for the lofty Allied principle of the "Self-Determination of Peoples."

:)

“Now we have forced Hitler to war so he no longer can peacefully annihilate one piece of the Treaty of Versailles after the other.”
~ Major General J.F.C. Fuller,
historian – England

DabbingIsSoMuchFun

Post by DabbingIsSoMuchFun » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:33 pm

Scott wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:57 am
Danzig was a Hanseatic city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanseatic_League

When Danzig was stripped away from Germany following World War I--in order to weaken Germany and to ultimately enrich Poland economically--the population was 98 percent German and only 1 percent Polish. So much for the lofty Allied principle of the "Self-Determination of Peoples."

The Hanseatic League was founded in 1358. The earliest historical record for Gdansk came in 999.

The Poles were there first, got ethnically cleansed by the Germans, ethnically cleansed the Germans, and voila.

Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:53 pm

Like the English coming to New Amsterdam, demographic change is not necessarily ethnic-cleansing, expulsions, nor Genocide.

;-)

For some other inconvenient history, when the USA took over the Southwest after winning the Mexican-American War, there were not very many Spanish speakers in the territory ceded by Mexico--a few thousand--and these mostly lived in Los Angeles, Tucson, and Santa Fe.

Plus, the USA paid Santa Anna for the territory Mexico ceded. However, Congress did not consider the land to be worth much and reneged on some of it so the Mexican caudillo scaled the map back a bit, which is why the United States does not have access to the Sea of Cortez at the mouth of the Colorado River. A bit short-sighted on the part of Congress, I think, but that kind of goes with the institution.

Later, it was decided that the southern railroad lines needed land for their routes to get to California and the Pacific, so an additional treaty purchased some more land South of the Gila River, including Tucson itself--territory which was also paid for.

“Now we have forced Hitler to war so he no longer can peacefully annihilate one piece of the Treaty of Versailles after the other.”
~ Major General J.F.C. Fuller,
historian – England

DabbingIsSoMuchFun

Post by DabbingIsSoMuchFun » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:00 pm

Scott wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:53 pm
Like the English coming to New Amsterdam, demographic change is not necessarily ethnic-cleansing, expulsions, nor Genocide.

;-)

For some other inconvenient history, when the USA took over the Southwest after winning the Mexican-American War, there were not very many Spanish speakers in the territory ceded by Mexico--a few thousand--and these mostly lived in Los Angeles, Tucson, and Santa Fe.

Plus, the USA paid Santa Anna for the territory Mexico ceded. However, Congress did not consider the land to be worth much and reneged on some of it so the Mexican caudillo scaled the map back a bit, which is why the United States does not have access to the Sea of Cortez at the mouth of the Colorado River. A bit short-sighted on the part of Congress, I think, but that kind of goes with the institution.

Later, it was decided that the southern railroad lines needed land for their routes to get to California and the Pacific, so an additional treaty purchased some more land South of the Gila River, including Tucson itself--territory which was also paid for.

No, it isn't, although some people will argue what's happening in Europe constitutes genocide while simultaneously holding your position. In either case, America is supposed to be the synthesis of all other cultures of Earth, a melting pot, if you will. If Britain were to hold New Amsterdam (New York), then yes, people would clamor for return, but now, it would be akin to colonialism. That said, the 'genocide' was the massacre (read, perpetrated massacre against an identifiable group of people) by the Teutonic Knights in 1308.

And that's why no one (that's a respected political authority) wants the U.S. to give back Texas et al. to Mexico. With that concluded, my point wasn't about whether Danzig should be German, or not, as you can argue the Germans were there in Roman times, but then you could then argue the Celts were there and so on and so forth. My point, was Danzig's founding; 997, possibly earlier but no written records exist that show an earlier date.