Beer

The RODOH Lounge is a place for general discussion, preferably non-Holocaust. The Lounge is only lightly moderated but please keep this a friendly place to chat with and get to know your fellow board participants.
NSDAP

Beer

Post by NSDAP » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:05 pm

My whole culture revolves around beer, not gas chambers and ovens. It seems beer helped to stop the plague yonks ago due to the sterilization of the water in the boil. For those who do not know, slightly crushed barley grains are put into water at about 65 degrees for an hour so that the starches with the help of enzymes in the grains are converted into sugars. With yeast these are converted into alcohol. Hops provide balance...I think the Gestapo just went to Belgium to dive into their wonderful trappist biers, police work was just a side line and war sorta got in the way as it tends to do. I brew my own beer and wine. I make a very dark lager with dry hopping 3 days before kegging. Any home brewers on this forum who wish to share their success and failures.
Wenn wir die Flagge, die wir aus dem Nichts gerissen haben, nicht halten können, müssen Sie, meine Söhne und Töchter, greifendie Fahne in deiner Faust...Führer der NSDAP Adolf Hitler
𝕹𝕾𝕯𝕬𝕻

ArronG

Re: Beer

Post by ArronG » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:52 pm

Not a home brewer myself, but I've thought about it quite a few times. I want to give brewing a shot so I'm thinking I should really stop procrastinating and just buy some simple equipment and give it a go. How did you start home brewing, NSDAP?

blake121666

Post by blake121666 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:44 pm

I would've replied but I haven't homebrewed in at least a few years and don't have anything particularly interesting to contribute to that. But, yeah, I have brewed my own beer - just not for quite some time now.

I've had a kajillion hobbies - many quite involved (such as beer brewing). My hobbies tend to come and go with me. It seems I tend to pickup hobbies mainly to see what something is all about - and do it myself. I've always done that. I like to know hands-on what things are all about!

I had even planned to get quite involved with all grain brewing electrically; but SO many things took up my time that I've pretty much put that on indefinite hold. Same deal with my aquaponics schemes, and ... etc!

NSDAP

Post by NSDAP » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:05 pm

ArronG wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:52 pm
How did you start home brewing, NSDAP?
Runs in the family; father was a keen brewer and like most Germans drank gallons of the stuff. I guess living in Bayern, beer is an important part of the culture along with the house flower pots, lederhosen, yodeling and all the other stuff the Austrians have borrowed. :) I'm not a great fan of the MacBeers such as Heineken, Stella Artois and Pilsner Urquell made in the Czech Republic, but it is fun to visit the local breweries. When going overseas it is great that the Craft Brewing scene has taken off, though on a hot day one would drink anything, yup even Corona. Craft Brewing is even challenging the vodka loving Russians.
Wenn wir die Flagge, die wir aus dem Nichts gerissen haben, nicht halten können, müssen Sie, meine Söhne und Töchter, greifendie Fahne in deiner Faust...Führer der NSDAP Adolf Hitler
𝕹𝕾𝕯𝕬𝕻

blake121666

Post by blake121666 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:53 pm

NSDAP wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:05 pm
ArronG wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:52 pm
How did you start home brewing, NSDAP?
Runs in the family; father was a keen brewer and like most Germans drank gallons of the stuff. I guess living in Bayern, beer is an important part of the culture along with the house flower pots, lederhosen, yodeling and all the other stuff the Austrians have borrowed. :) I'm not a great fan of the MacBeers such as Heineken, Stella Artois and Pilsner Urquell made in the Czech Republic, but it is fun to visit the local breweries. When going overseas it is great that the Craft Brewing scene has taken off, though on a hot day one would drink anything, yup even Corona. Craft Brewing is even challenging the vodka loving Russians.
Yeah, the funny thing is that I consider the QUALITY of those type beers to be exceptional - in terms of what one strives for. But that ends up in a flavor that is lacking and not as satisfying. Such is the problem with such things. The undesirable qualities in small quantities add to the character of a beer.

Unlike you, I tend not to like the Belgian beers. I don't like chocolate or sugars not derived from barley in beer. I quite dislike the rice in Budweiser. It's not exactly clear to me the totality of what makes a good beer; but I tend to side with the opinions of those who came up with the Bavarian beer laws. I stay away from mead too!

I view good beer similar to how I view exceptionally good wines - they come about in a flukish way. The really really expensive wines you come across just so happen to have gotten things right in a largely irreproducible way. Although one can have a consistently very good wine, the really exceptional ones are flukes. A large beer producer such as Budweiser can miss out on making exceptional beer from their own quality control. I definitely like some mass produced beers at times though.

NSDAP

Post by NSDAP » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:23 pm

blake121666 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:53 pm

I consider the QUALITY of those type beers to be exceptional - in terms of what one strives for. But that ends up in a flavor that is lacking and not as satisfying. Such is the problem with such things. The undesirable qualities in small quantities add to the character of a beer.

Unlike you, I tend not to like the Belgian beers. I don't like chocolate or sugars not derived from barley in beer. I quite dislike the rice in Budweiser. It's not exactly clear to me the totality of what makes a good beer; but I tend to side with the opinions of those who came up with the Bavarian beer laws. I stay away from mead too!

I view good beer similar to how I view exceptionally good wines - they come about in a flukish way. The really really expensive wines you come across just so happen to have gotten things right in a largely irreproducible way. Although one can have a consistently very good wine, the really exceptional ones are flukes. A large beer producer such as Budweiser can miss out on making exceptional beer from their own quality control. I definitely like some mass produced beers at times though.
Indeed The Reinheitsgebot the 1516 Bayern law, the only ingredients that could be used in the production of beer were water, barley and hops. After German reunification in 1990 the Neuzeller Kloster Brewery, a former monastery brewery in the East German town of Neuzelle, Brandenburg, was warned to stop selling its black beer as it contained sugar. After some negotiations the brewery was allowed to sell it under the name Schwarzer Abt ("Black Abbot") but could not label it "Bier". This decision was repealed by the Federal Administrative Court of Germany through a special permit, and after legal disputes lasting ten years (known as the "Brandenburg Beer War") Neuzeller Kloster Brewery gained the right to call Schwarzer Abt "Bier" again. Wheat is allowed though a lager yeast must be used, not sure how they get on using orange peel (I know the Belgium Brewers do).
I tasted a beautiful craft Porter the other day, which had oats in it and that would be OK so long as it is not called bier. On my overseas experience to the antipodes, I worked at two major breweries. Whereas German biers get the sugars from steeping various crushed malts at 66 degrees or so for an hour, these companies in the mash used about half of the barley all of which was base pale malts which gave very little colour if any.
At the boil, bags and bags of sugar (sucrose C12H22O11) was added along with some hops. With one company the colour was not the addition of various darker malts like we do, but two large plastic buckets of burnt sugar (caramel) were tossed in. The wort was then centrifuged, cooled and put into huge open fermentation tanks like large swimming pools where the yeast was pitched. After fermentation the beer was forced carbonated, bottled, kegged or put into milk style tankers to take to the pubs which had large holding tanks.
The other company, used sugar as well but the fermented beer went straight to a 200 000 litre tank. (about 2m diameter and 6.5m high) Another beer using different hops etc was stored in another tank. There were 12 huge tanks. None of this beer was sold directly to the public but was blended with various proportions from each tank. As it comes from the tanks one could see it in a section which had a clear inspection pipe: this beer had no colour but looked like water. In the blending tanks, this beer had colour added and forced carbonation, some was pasteurized.
In both companies the yeast was a lager type so technically the "beers" are lagers though they are marketed as IPAs.
In my mind these are not real beers though the people do not know any different; to them this shit stuff is real beer. They like to drink it ice cold and to be honest they are undrinkable above 5C.
I suspect Budweiser is made in a similar fashion using cheap grains like rice and corn to extract the starches from.
Leffe Blond claims to be a Belgium Abbey beer (this has a banana bubblegum taste to it) but made in the same brewery that Stella Artois is made, which is hardly an Abbey. You can always tell a shit beer before drinking (if bottled): has a real fancy bottle cap and will have the words "PREMIUM: emblazoned on the front.
worlds worst rated beer
The worlds best bier
𝕹𝕾𝕯𝕬𝕻

blake121666

Post by blake121666 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:52 am

Budweiser states that they originally used rice because it was cheaper but that it costs more than barley nowadays.

I forgot to mention that I like to get all the dead yeast out of my beers before kegging them. I hate a beer that hasn't been filtered properly. There's a brewery 1/2 mile down the street from me that doesn't filter their beers well enough. Gives it a pukey taste to me. One needs to get the beer off the dead yeast asap and get out as much as possible IMO.

I wasn't aware that breweries force-carbonate. I wonder where they get the CO2? It seems like it'd be inefficient to not capture it during fermentation for the later force-carbonation. The brewery I mentioned above does not force carbonate. Maybe that's why I taste the dead yeast in their beers?

What's that bier in your picture of "the world's best bier"?

NSDAP

Post by NSDAP » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:46 am

Taste is very subjective. We know from the PTC tests that bitterness is genetic. Like art, music, I guess cultural influences and bier are also subjective: I think this comes down to all aspects of humanity. The latest trend is cloudy biers, though I like mine crystal clear as I like holding them up to sunlight and seeing the great colours, smelling the malts and hops ( guess smell is subjective as well). Some like the left over yeast from bottle conditioned beers: I prefer biers with no yeast. Some breweries have learned to sell the carbon dioxide but many still see it as a waste product.
That beer in the pic is a "Trappist Bier" Westvleteren 12 (XII)
Trappist monks from the Mont des Cats monastery in France founded the St. Sixtus monastery in 1831. In 1838, brewing began at Westvleteren. In 1850, some of the monks founded the Notre-Dame de Scourmont monastery, which also brews a Trappist beer called Chimay. During World Wars I and II, the Westvleteren brewery continued to operate, albeit at reduced capacity. It was the sole Trappist brewery to retain the copper vessels throughout the 1914-18 and 1939-45 wars — the other breweries having had their copper requisitioned by the German occupation forces. In World War I this was primarily due to the abbey not being occupied by the Germans; it was caring for wounded allied troops. In 1931, the abbey began selling beer to the general public, having only served beer to guests and visitors up until that time. In 1946, the St. Bernardus brewery in nearby Watou was granted a licence to brew beer under the St. Sixtus name. This agreement ended in 1992; St. Bernardus still brews beers of similar styles, but under their own name. That same year, the abbey opened its new brewery to replace the older equipment.

The brewery currently employs three secular workers for various manual labour tasks; however, the primary brewing is done by the monks only. Of the 26 Trappists who reside at the abbey, five monks run the brewery, with an additional five who assist during bottling.
𝕹𝕾𝕯𝕬𝕻

torus9

Post by torus9 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:53 pm

I never touch alcohol, which I consider to be the fermented piss of Murder Inc. Having an alcoholic father may have influenced my opinion, who knows.

NSDAP

Post by NSDAP » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:33 pm

torus9 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:53 pm

Each to their own.
Last edited by NSDAP on Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
𝕹𝕾𝕯𝕬𝕻