Music

The RODOH Lounge is a place for general discussion, preferably non-Holocaust. The Lounge is only lightly moderated but please keep this a friendly place to chat with and get to know your fellow board participants.
torus9

Re: Music

Post by torus9 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:03 pm

been-there wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:20 am

Interestingly "The only way out is in" (a similar message to 'got to get out to get in') took on greater significance in my early adulthood.

Myself and friends as young teenagers saw Genesis touring that album in 197? when they came to our town of Dortmund. But I remember it was such a long performance that we got quite bored and restless. So much so that we left the auditorium and started messing about around the outer perimeter of the hall were all the merchandising was sold.

I later lived in a town close to where Peter Gabriel lived and had some friends of friends who interacted with him in various professional capacities. Thus it was that I met Joni Mitchell when she was recording in his studio in Box. A memorable experience. What a beauty she was. While describing the song she was working on — as she played back the instrumental backing track to myself and a friend — she spontaneously sang an improvised melody which she said might be a type of violin part. That gave me chills and all the hairs on my body stood up. I'd been listening to that quite unique voice for many years. So I was very used to hearing that beautiful sound, but only coming out of speaker cabinets. So to suddenly and unexpectedly hear it coming out of this beautiful, blonde, friendly, chain-smoking, chatty person standing right next to me was quite mind-blowing.

Here's another slightly related reminiscence.
A friend was working as some kind of cosmic 'energy realignment' masseur, at a huge and expensive health resort in an old Dorset country mansion when someone she described as a "dishy bloke" came as a client for a session. She had no idea who he was and during the session tried to make small talk with him, asking him what he did for a living. His modest reply was "I'm a singer in a band". I was impressed by that understatement. Only much later during a communal afternoon tea break with the other employees, was she informed it had been Peter Gabriel.
Great stories been-there, thank you. 1975 would be the most likely year for the Genesis show. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is one of the greatest works of art from that era. A technical nightmare to perform live given the restraints of live sound compared to today, along with all the subtle nuances in the music.

Despite the innuendo, Joni Mitchell took you to her "secret place". Amazing.

torus9

Post by torus9 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:14 pm

It's okay ladies and gentlemen, I'm with...

This song is gorgeous. Still in my playlist. The chorus is a sonic remedy to the gloom and empty faces on the subway, the shopping centers, etc. People just want to be loved.

torus9

Post by torus9 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:10 pm

He's young! He's Jewish!! He's gifted, ladies and gentlemen!!!

been-there
Propositions Moderator

Post by been-there » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:11 am

torus9 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:03 pm
been-there wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:20 am

Interestingly "The only way out is in" (a similar message to 'got to get out to get in') took on greater significance in my early adulthood.

Myself and friends as young teenagers saw Genesis touring that album in 197? when they came to our town of Dortmund. But I remember it was such a long performance that we got quite bored and restless. So much so that we left the auditorium and started messing about around the outer perimeter of the hall were all the merchandising was sold.

I later lived in a town close to where Peter Gabriel lived and had some friends of friends who interacted with him in various professional capacities. Thus it was that I met Joni Mitchell when she was recording in his studio in Box. A memorable experience. What a beauty she was. While describing the song she was working on — as she played back the instrumental backing track to myself and a friend — she spontaneously sang an improvised melody which she said might be a type of violin part. That gave me chills and all the hairs on my body stood up. I'd been listening to that quite unique voice for many years. So I was very used to hearing that beautiful sound, but only coming out of speaker cabinets. So to suddenly and unexpectedly hear it coming out of this beautiful, blonde, friendly, chain-smoking, chatty person standing right next to me was quite mind-blowing.

Here's another slightly related reminiscence.
A friend was working as some kind of cosmic 'energy realignment' masseur, at a huge and expensive health resort in an old Dorset country mansion when someone she described as a "dishy bloke" came as a client for a session. She had no idea who he was and during the session tried to make small talk with him, asking him what he did for a living. His modest reply was "I'm a singer in a band". I was impressed by that understatement. Only much later during a communal afternoon tea break with the other employees, was she informed it had been Peter Gabriel.
Great stories been-there, thank you. 1975 would be the most likely year for the Genesis show. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is one of the greatest works of art from that era. A technical nightmare to perform live given the restraints of live sound compared to today, along with all the subtle nuances in the music.

Despite the innuendo, Joni Mitchell took you to her "secret place". Amazing.
Heh heh. Well... Right album ('Chalk mark in a rainstorm') ...but wrong song. :)

The song she was working on — and which she generously stopped to chat with us about, to explain the as yet unrecorded lyric, and to play the backing-minus-vocals to us — eventually became "The beat of black wings".
She never did put a violin solo on it. ;)

Incidentally, that album is a small example of how false history (deceit by omission) gets recorded for posterity.
Most info out there maintains she was only in Gabriel's studio to record that duet with him.
E.g. this is what is on Wikipedia:
In early 1986, Joni Mitchell and Larry Klein visited Peter Gabriel's Ashcombe House recording studio in Bath, England. Since Gabriel had mostly finished his album So by that time, he offered Mitchell and Klein the use of his studio if they wanted to record. They did, and the result was the track "My secret place" which was a duet between Mitchell and Gabriel.
But I am an 'eye-witness' to that not being correct. First the studio isn't in Bath but in Box. Second she worked on numerous of her own songs there. I know as I was a friend of a friend of a drummer she used. And he is credited on numerous tracks.
Here she reminisced about one of the numerous songs she recorded there:
Joni Mitchell wrote:Speaking of drummers — I tried out two great drummers over in England — to play on NUMBER ONE — but neither one of them could swing. They had missed that era. So, for the first time, I programmed the drums. I heard in my head a long liquid brush stroke. I was working in Peter Gabriel’s old studio. There was nothing among his samples like that. Then, one night, as the session was winding down and we were rewinding the master tapes, I heard it — the sound I wanted. It was the sound of the tape flipping at the end of the reel before it came to rest. We sampled it. It was perfect. Years later, in Rome, a man chased after the car I was riding in and he shouted to me, “Joni! The rythmico on NUMBER ONE is fantastico.” Thanks.

torus9

Re: Second War World Two Poetry

Post by torus9 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:22 am

torus9

Re: Second War World Two Poetry

Post by torus9 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:42 pm

torus9

Post by torus9 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:39 am

been-there wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:11 am
Heh heh. Well... Right album ('Chalk mark in a rainstorm') ...but wrong song. :)
Not bad! I love it when the "gut" has that visceral reaction and you go with it. Thank you!

torus9

Post by torus9 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:40 am

torus9

Post by torus9 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:54 am

The finest in-studio rock n' roll song ever recorded imho.
What a life, "glimmer twins". "Emo"? You emote, Mick!

"If I could stick a knife in my heart
Suicide right on the stage
Would it be enough for your teenage lust
Would it help to ease the pain?
Ease your bray-ay-ain!"
You silly kids! :D

torus9

Post by torus9 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:34 pm

Let it out, Walter! I've heard Natives in Canada do this.