The Honorable Deborah Lipstadt

The RODOH Lounge is a place for general discussion, preferably non-Holocaust. The Lounge is only lightly moderated but please keep this a friendly place to chat with and get to know your fellow board participants.
onetruth

Re: The Honorable Deborah Lipstadt

Post by onetruth » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:41 pm

blake121666 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:54 pm
David Irving is currently claiming 2.8 million killed in the AR camps at the 2:57 mark of this video:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2480&p=76118&hilit=irving#p76118
Maybe Lammers would like to explain what is it about Irving that he finds reliable -

do you Lammers agree with the new numbers Irving is giving ?

and how do you explain the inflation in the number - is this the work of a reliable historian ?

cause by his own admission he got the number all wrong to begin with,

Lammers

Post by Lammers » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:19 pm

onetruth wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:41 pm
blake121666 wrote:
David Irving is currently claiming 2.8 million killed in the AR camps at the 2:57 mark of this video:

Maybe Lammers would like to explain what is it about Irving that he finds reliable -

and how do you explain the inflation in the number - is this the work of a reliable historian ?

As I said, Irving's books have nothing to do with the Holocaust, so it doesn't affect his reputation as a historian writing books on other events. You appear to be one of those who desperately wants all of Irving books to be wrong. To justify this belief, you make it seem as if one thing has anything to do with the other, therefore Irving is 'bunk', and all of his books the same.

The Holocaust figures spoken by Irving has nothing to do with any of his books. Do I have to repeat myself again?

Lammers

permanent_denial

Post by permanent_denial » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:56 am

Lammers wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:19 pm
onetruth wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:41 pm
blake121666 wrote:

As I said, Irving's books have nothing to do with the Holocaust, so it doesn't affect his reputation as a historian writing books on other events. You appear to be one of those who desperately wants all of Irving books to be wrong. To justify this belief, you make it seem as if one thing has anything to do with the other, therefore Irving is 'bunk', and all of his books the same.

The Holocaust figures spoken by Irving has nothing to do with any of his books. Do I have to repeat myself again?

Lammers
Lammers, when will you learn? You'll be repeating yourself until you're blue in the face and then some if what you hope to achieve is convincing these Holohoaxers like onelie of anything that isn't already welded into their tightly-knit, self-enforced belief system.
The a Wizarding World of Exterminationism...
------------------------
Cremated remains of HOW MANY CORPSES (alternatively give volume or mass of cremated remains of individually identified analysis not given) has been unearthed from the three stated locations (AR camps) and definitively identified by scientific forensic analysis to be of human origin?
Nessie: NONE
------------------------
creative1: ALL conspiracies are bullshit.

been-there
Propositions Moderator

Post by been-there » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:26 am

Lipstadt is a professor of Holocaust Studies with an appointment in Emory University’s Department of Theology, and once I read the opening paragraph of her first chapter, I decided that her academic specialty might certainly be described as “Holocaust Theology.”

For example, she provided a very long list of leading academic scholars, prominent political figures, and influential journalists who had championed Revisionist history, noted that their views disagree with the more mainstream perspective she had presumably imbibed from her History 101 textbooks, and thereby regarded them as fully debunked. Certainly a Christian preacher attempting to refute the evolutionary theories of Harvard’s E.O. Wilson by quoting a passage of Bible verse might take much the same approach. But few evangelical activists would be so foolish as to provide a very long list of eminent scientists who all took the same Darwinist position and then attempt to sweep them aside by citing a single verse from Genesis. Lipstadt seems to approach history much like a Bible-thumper, but a particularly dim-witted one. Moreover, many of the authors she attacked had already become familiar to me after a decade of my content-archiving work, and I had found their numerous books quite scholarly and persuasive.

...Lipstadt’s absolute horror at having someone actually dispute the tenets of her academic doctrine could not have been more blatant. Surely no zealous theologian of the European Dark Ages would have reacted any differently.

...A notorious incident that occurred soon after the Bolshevik Revolution came to my mind. Eminent philologist Timofei Florinsky, one of Russia’s most internationally renowned academic scholars, was hauled before a revolutionary tribunal for a public interrogation about his ideas, and one of the judges, a drunken Jewish former prostitute, found his answers so irritating that she drew her revolver and shot him dead right there and then. Given Lipstadt’s obvious emotional state, I have a strong suspicion that she might have wished she could deal in a similar fashion with Barnes and the numerous other scholars she denounced. Among other things, she noted with horror that more than two decades after his 1940 purge from public life, Barnes’ books were still required reading at both Harvard and Columbia.

All of us reasonably extrapolate what we already know or can easily check against what is more difficult to verify, and the remaining chapters of Lipstadt’s book left me very doubtful about the reliability of her work, all of which was written in a similar near-hysterical style. Since she had already been vaguely known to me from her well-publicised legal battle against historian David Irving more than a dozen years earlier, I was hardly surprised to discover that many pages were devoted to vilifying and insulting him in much the same manner as Barnes, so I decided to investigate...

http://www.unz.com/runz/american-pravda ... st-denial/
Professor Deborah Lipstadt poses with Emory President Claire E. Sterk before a poster of the ‘Denial’ film
"When people who are honestly mistaken learn the truth,
they either cease being mistaken
or they cease being honest"
-- Anonymous