Requests or Complaints Requiring Moderation (OLD)

The RODOH Lounge is a place for general discussion, preferably non-Holocaust. The Lounge is only lightly moderated but please keep this a friendly place to chat with and get to know your fellow board participants.
Scott
Site Admin

Re: Requests or Complaints Requiring Moderation

Post by Scott »

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Similar only by typing in "d" I got back in without losing the post I'd tried to submit.
The Letter "C" will work as well since prior to being dubbed the "Beast of Belsen," Josef Kramer was also the Block Führer, or something like that, of Birkenau. This is supposed to be a stupid-simple registration question-and-answer that can fool the Spambots (and so far it has worked very well).

Regarding the "keeping logged into the board" problem...

When you first login, there are two boxes that you can check about keeping you logged in and about hiding your Online status. I recommend checking the "keep me logged in" button. And also make sure that your browser has RODOH enabled to track cookies or whatever it wants to do, at least for this website. This is not going to hurt your privacy any. The only one who should be getting problems such as this is Ralph, when logging in from strange computers and trying to stay anonymous.

If you are still having problems after clearing the cookies and trying again, then try a different browser. If you are using Internet Explorer, try Mozilla Firefox; if using FF then try Google Chrome, etc. Be careful about how your website tracking preferences are set and so on. If you need a higher level of security and don't want other sites to keep cookies tracked on you, at least make sure that you have RODOH as an exception.

I have barely been able to duplicate this problem once our webmaster and techie guys fixed it a month or two ago, so I am not really sure about a workaround or fix right now. I need more information that I can personally duplicate, I suppose.

Thanks for your patience.

~ Scott Smith

:)

“So people are getting injured, and our job is to protect this business, and a part of my job is to also help people. If there’s somebody hurt, I’m running into harm’s way.
That’s why I have my rifle because I need to protect myself, obviously.
But I also have my med-kit.”

~ "Siege" Kyle Rittenhouse
(Kenosha, WI - 25 AUGUST 2020)

SUPPORT RODOH!
Would you like to financially contribute to the upkeep of RODOH? Please kindly contact Scott Smith ([email protected]). Any and all contributions are welcome!

Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Okay, I tried making some Administrative tweaks to get the board to hopefully be a little less sensitive to cookies, browsers, and posting issues--thus in order to preserve logins and not be dumping out on you in the middle of posting.

Recently Depth Check and I had a big problem with Spambots that got fixed, so hopefully I didn't screw anything up. If so, do report any problems to either me or Depth Check.

I hope that you all are enjoying the holiday season as much as I am. And wishing everyone a Happy New Year!

Thank you--that is all.

“So people are getting injured, and our job is to protect this business, and a part of my job is to also help people. If there’s somebody hurt, I’m running into harm’s way.

rollo the ganger

Post by rollo the ganger »

Testing. I don't have a "stay logged on button" and the buttons I do have aren't for that. Happy New Years if this gets through.

Charles Traynor

Post by Charles Traynor »

Kitty Hart-Moxon (1998): "Believe me, I came into Auschwitz in a much worse condition than I actually left it."

Duke Umeroffen

Post by Duke Umeroffen »

I would have drawn him a picture too.
Viking; North Utsire; South Utsire; Forties; Cromarty; ; Firth; Tyne; Dogger. Fisher; German Bight; Humber; Thames *; Dover;

rollo the ganger

Post by rollo the ganger »

Thank you CT but I really didn't want to be logged on automatically with each visit. Sometimes I like to peruse the site without actually logging on.

Statistical Mechanic

Post by Statistical Mechanic »

Duke Umeroffen wrote:I would have drawn him a picture too.
LOL, the advice doesn't help, as I am logged in that way and am still getting kicked out until I type in (d), from time to time that is.
"the Germans had ample justifiable cause to oppose a minority within their society who worked AGAINST their county's interests" -- been-there, 24 April 2014

Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Duke Umeroffen wrote:
I would have drawn him a picture too.
LOL, the advice doesn't help, as I am logged in that way and am still getting kicked out until I type in (d), from time to time that is.
That's really weird. Just out of curiosity, if it challenges you unexpectedly, see if it still "solves" the riddle when you type in (c). If that makes no difference, then try any other letter besides C or D (case style won't matter). I'm wondering if in these post-registration cases whether a correct answer really * does * matter. If so, I am trying to figure out if anything is related to the present Spambot resistance configuration, or if there is a different issue here entirely.

As I said, I'm not really experiencing this problem--at least not with the handful of computers that I normally use--but a few weeks ago it wasn't allowing me to stay logged in as Administrator, and * that * was rather annoying.

So also annoying were the hordes of phony Spambots registering from Ukraine--but oddly enough, they only rarely actually posted their commercial Spam. We were getting a lot of silent readers from Ukraine all of a sudden (LOL).

Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

rollo the ganger wrote:
Thank you CT but I really didn't want to be logged on automatically with each visit. Sometimes I like to peruse the site without actually logging on.
To tell you the truth, RtG, the full features of the board are simply not usable unless you log-in. Certainly your user preferences, if there are any that are applicable in a particular case, will not work. That is what the "cookies" do, after all--store metadata like that reciprocally for the browser and for the board functionality.

Keeping things configured to allow anonymous browsing has always been our policy--but that is one thing, while "anonymous" posting is another animal. I'm not sure that the board can be configured better. I'm almost surprised to hear that putting in your ID and password for on-the-fly posting works at all (if I am understanding correctly).

I do want the functionality to be user-friendly but still secure, and Depth Check and I are both interested in hearing about issues like this. We are always open to constructive suggestions that anyone might have.

Btw, this thread is about moderation complaints with the board--so if this or any other technical issue persists, please start a new thread about it in the Lounge, or continue to contact Depth Check or myself about it directly if necessary. We need to hear of any stuff that for whatever reason seriously crimps one's style, or makes use of the board seriously inconvenient, or uniquely difficult or annoying to use.