Was Hitler a pagan?

The RODOH Lounge is a place for general discussion, preferably non-Holocaust. The Lounge is only lightly moderated but please keep this a friendly place to chat with and get to know your fellow board participants.
andrushas

Was Hitler a pagan?

Post by andrushas » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:30 pm

Have a look at this:

Contrary to popular belief, Hitler was not a Christian. Thoughts?

Scott
Site Admin

Re: Was Hitler a pagan?

Post by Scott » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:35 pm

I would answer the question of whether Hitler was a pagan as clearly NO.

I think Hitler was basically an Agnostic, so essentially a non-believer, and not especially observant, but nominally a Roman Catholic nevertheless. I think he still called himself Christian, for what it's worth.

Although Hitler remained nominally a Roman Catholic, I am not sure that the term "lapsed Catholic" would be entirely accurate either, since he reputedly continued, for example, to pay his personal church dues (or whatever this is called). Reliable biographers like David Irving and John Toland have noted this.

I have read lots of stuff from Leon Degrelle, and I don't think he found Hitler's views (nor Himmler's) to be incompatible with Christianity, per se. Degrelle probably saw no problems as far as Hitler or even Himmler was concerned about a kind of big-tent concept in Christianity that venerated some paganism.

As he notes in his memoirs, Leon Degrelle extensively negotiated with Heinrich Himmler himself on religious aspects such as their own RC chaplains when they formed the Wallonian SS division, for example. The Belgian Walloons had earlier fought against the Soviet Union as a foreign legion in the German Wehrmacht before being incorporated into a division of the Waffen-SS.

The Latin Rite Church has always had a tendency to be respectful to some extent about pagan rituals, often incorporating them into its own. Catholicism is one of the monotheistic sects and therefore absolutist (or perhaps totalitarian in certain respects) on some doctrinal matters, but less so otherwise.

The RC Church is indeed a fairly demanding Christian denomination, but I am not sure it beats some Christian sects like the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, for example. Lapsed LDS are colloquially called "Jack" Mormons, i.e., somebody who was raised in the LDS faith (colloquially, "Mormon") but who is not observant.

Since I am basically Atheist or Agnostic and refused to go on a Mission (normally expected of all young male LDS members), in order to avoid any misunderstandings about the "lapsed" aspect, I had the LDS Church on my sole initiative remove my name from their membership records about thirty years ago─maybe not the most popular move if the Church is heavily embedded within one's peers and extended family (and the faith does put a lot of emphasis into aspects of extended family).

Anyway, I think the notion that the Nazis had a war on Christianity is simply wrong. Himmler, another nominal Catholic, and others may have had an interest in some aspects of German paganism, but we should not read too much into this. There was an extension of the Kulturkampf, which began under Bismarck and led overall in the direction of what enlightened modern peoples would call a Separation of Church and State, but I would applaud that even if I were still a Christian.

Extreme "Traditionalist" Catholics have long had a Love/Hate relationship with Adolf Hitler. Some endorse his anti-Semitism, but not all of them like his focus on Race and Nationalism, and they see reputed paganism as a justification for an anti-Nazi attitude. Degrelle himself saw no insurmountable conflict here. Most traditional historians (including good Catholic ones) have seen the forced Christianization of pagan Europe to have been a mixed blessing, so this is not really anything new.

:)

“Now we have forced Hitler to war so he no longer can peacefully annihilate one piece of the Treaty of Versailles after the other.”
~ Major General J.F.C. Fuller,
historian – England

andrushas

Post by andrushas » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:45 pm

Interesting, thank you.

been-there
Propositions Moderator

Post by been-there » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:39 pm

Here's a website with some quotes related to what you are asking:

https://www.learnreligions.com/adolf-hi ... tes-248190