FUN PIX - SUPERSTITION MTN MOONRISE DEC 2017

The RODOH Lounge is a place for general discussion, preferably non-Holocaust. The Lounge is only lightly moderated but please keep this a friendly place to chat with and get to know your fellow board participants.
Scott
Site Admin

FUN PIX - SUPERSTITION MTN MOONRISE DEC 2017

Post by Scott » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:33 pm

I took this picture in early December 2017 during the Supermoon at the base of the Superstition Mountains in Arizona. I have my tripod packed away somewhere and it was hard to get a good timed exposure without it, but it looks pretty cool anyway. It has not been photoshopped as of yet.

Another Supermoon occurred earlier this month but the timing did not work out for me so I didn't take any pictures. The next Supermoon--which will also be a "Bluemoon" since it occurs twice in the same month--will occur at the end of January, 2018.

:)

NSDAP

Re: FUN PIX - SUPERSTITION MTN MOONRISE DEC 2017

Post by NSDAP » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:19 pm

I went out with camera, tripod and rigged it up to the telescope. Even did a radio Moon Bounce to see if the reflected signal was stronger. There is an issue with Cumulonimbus clouds I have at the moment as they always roll in at the most inopportune moments: all I got was a soggy note book and wet socks.
Sicherheitszentrale
π•Ήπ–†π–™π–Žπ–”π–“π–†π–‘π–˜π–”π–Ÿπ–Žπ–†π–‘π–Žπ–˜π–™π–Žπ–˜π–ˆπ–π–Š π•―π–Šπ–šπ–™π–˜π–ˆπ–π–Š π•¬π–—π–‡π–Šπ–Žπ–™π–Šπ–—π–•π–†π–—π–™π–Šπ–Ž
𝔖𝔱𝔲𝔯π”ͺπ”žπ”Ÿπ”±π”’π”¦π”©π”²π”«π”€ 𝔑𝔒𝔯 𝔑𝔖𝔇𝔄𝔓

Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:15 pm

Here is a picture of the Super-Blue Moonrise over the Superstition Mountains - East of Phoenix, AZ on the evening of Wednesday, January 31st, 2018.

Earlier that morning before Sunrise there was a Total Lunar Eclipse, making it a "Super-Blue Blood Moon."

A "Super Moon" is near the point of Lunar perigee when the Moon is closest to the Earth.

"Blue Moon," as in the phrase "once in a Blue Moon," is when two Full Moons occur in the same month (two in January, 2018).

And "Blood Moon" is when a Total Lunar Eclipse occurs and the only light the Full Moon provides is the deep red from light reflected from the Earth within the shadow of the Earth--a very eerie effect indeed, especially if it occurs in the middle of the night and not near sunrise, as this Blood Moon did. I took a picture of that too on Wednesday morning but it was not nearly as good as the Blood Moon that we had a few years ago.

I will post my August 21, 2017 Total Solar Eclipse pictures from Idaho too when I get around to it.

:D

β€œNow we have forced Hitler to war so he no longer can peacefully annihilate one piece of the Treaty of Versailles after the other.”
~ Major General J.F.C. Fuller,
historian – England

blake121666

Post by blake121666 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:24 pm

Scott wrote: ↑
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:15 pm
Here is a picture of the Super-Blue Moonrise over the Superstition Mountains - East of Phoenix, AZ on the evening of Wednesday, January 31st, 2018.

Earlier that morning before Sunrise there was a Total Lunar Eclipse, making it a "Super-Blue Blood Moon."

A "Super Moon" is near the point of Lunar perigee when the Moon is closest to the Earth.

"Blue Moon," as in the phrase "once in a Blue Moon," is when two Full Moons occur in the same month (two in January, 2018).

And "Blood Moon" is when a Total Lunar Eclipse occurs and the only light the Full Moon provides is the deep red from light reflected from the Earth within the shadow of the Earth--a very eerie effect indeed, especially if it occurs in the middle of the night and not near sunrise, as this Blood Moon did. I took a picture of that too on Wednesday morning but it was not nearly as good as the Blood Moon that we had a few years ago.

I will post my August 21, 2017 Total Solar Eclipse pictures from Idaho too when I get around to it.

:D

Where are the purple and blue colors coming from? Or were there filters on the lens or something? Was the photo enhanced? Is this from inside a cave? I can't make out what I'm looking at.

Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:40 pm

The first Super Moonrise in December was not Photoshopped at all.

The second one was heavily Photoshopped, and I am still experimenting with this. The original is below.

First of all the white balance is off and the Moon looks more like the Sun. But what I really don't like about it is that you can clearly see an overhead cable line in the frame. It was so dark that I could not see this. I am still learning how to Photoshop this out without making it look like a painting.

Also, the bush is about 100 meters away and I could not see that either except through the LCD display of the camera. This one has decent framing but there are probably some better examples that I am still messing with. The mountain itself is probably about five miles away or less. The Moonrise in late January was a little more to the South (to the Right in the frame) than the one in early December as well.

β€œNow we have forced Hitler to war so he no longer can peacefully annihilate one piece of the Treaty of Versailles after the other.”
historian – England

blake121666

Post by blake121666 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:46 pm

Ah, now I can make it out!

BTW, you forgot to define what a "Bad Moon Rising" was! ;)

Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:11 pm

blake121666 wrote: ↑
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:46 pm
Ah, now I can make it out!

BTW, you forgot to define what a "Bad Moon Rising" was! ;)

I think that is one of the songs from the 1978 movie Who'll Stop the Rain, with Nick Nolte and Michael Moriarty (SS-Major Eric Dorf in the TV mini-series Holocaust from the same year), partly filmed at White Sands, NM and about a bunch of China White heroin smuggled by Vietnam War veterans or something like that. The movie had a Credence Clearwater Revival soundtrack that probably inspired Apocalypse Now (1979). Anthony Zerbe played the corrupt DEA agent. Who says that the "opioid crisis" is anything new?

Anyway, here is an un-Photoshopped picture of the Blood Moon from early in the morning on January 31, 2018. I might be able to salvage this better with Photoshop but I was not expecting much since this one was so soon before Sunrise as a said earlier.

The American flag by the way stands guard over a crematorium (I kid you not).

historian – England