Bah Humbug Christmas

This board is open for all subject matters. Post information and discussion materials about open-debate and censorship on other boards (including this one) here. Memory Hole 2 is a RODOH subforum for alternate perspectives.
Turnagain

Re: Bah Humbug Christmas

Post by Turnagain »

You miss the point, Blake. The question is, WHY are there seemingly universal laws? Is there a "who" or "what" mandated them or do they just occur at random? Do you know FOR SURE that "life" and "death" are merely a shift in perception or is life and death a finite sequence of events?

An old scifi story explored that question and came up with the notion that it's undesireable knowledge. The author posited that an extinct race of beings had solved the mystery and found that, yes, there was an afterlife and it was much better than corporeal existence. Accordingly they built death chambers and all lined up and committed suicide.

Huntinger's claim that belief in the "supernatural" is hogwash is based on his perception of the definition of "supernatural". The Sumerian epic of the creation of the solar system is hedged about with gods and goddesses but nevertheless provides an accurate description of the formation of the solar system as has been determined by modern astronomers. There are attendant myths and beliefs that do, in fact, describe actual facts even though such myths are seemingly spurious.

SUPPORT RODOH!
Would you like to financially contribute to the upkeep of RODOH? Please kindly contact Scott Smith ([email protected]). Any and all contributions are welcome!

blake121666

Post by blake121666 »

Turnagain wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:19 pm
You miss the point, Blake. The question is, WHY are there seemingly universal laws? Is there a "who" or "what" mandated them or do they just occur at random? Do you know FOR SURE that "life" and "death" are merely a shift in perception or is life and death a finite sequence of events?

An old scifi story explored that question and came up with the notion that it's undesireable knowledge. The author posited that an extinct race of beings had solved the mystery and found that, yes, there was an afterlife and it was much better than corporeal existence. Accordingly they built death chambers and all lined up and committed suicide.

Huntinger's claim that belief in the "supernatural" is hogwash is based on his perception of the definition of "supernatural". The Sumerian epic of the creation of the solar system is hedged about with gods and goddesses but nevertheless provides an accurate description of the formation of the solar system as has been determined by modern astronomers. There are attendant myths and beliefs that do, in fact, describe actual facts even though such myths are seemingly spurious.
I got the point. I was merely clearing up an error. By the technical definition and understanding of the term "supernatural" - it exists because we are not omniscient. But that is being semantically pedantic on my part. I'm open minded to anything but not concerned about that particular issue.

Turnagain

Post by Turnagain »

But Blake, how will you ever know if life and death are just a sequence of events? If there's no afterlife you won't know anything. You'll just be dead.

blake121666

Post by blake121666 »

Well I like to think that unknowable things can be real - even if fundamentally unknowable. Like I said, I'm open-minded to anything - even the unknowable. I'm not concerned with formulating beliefs about unknowable things though.

So supernatural beliefs not known to be false are fine by me, I guess. :D

Turnagain

Post by Turnagain »

Well, I suppose that we'll have to be satisfied with not knowing the unknowable. :lol:

Huntinger

Post by Huntinger »

Turnagain wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:51 am
Well, I suppose that we'll have to be satisfied with not knowing the unknowable. :lol:
Not knowing something is lack of knowledge; supernatural means beyond the natural world aka ghosts etc.

𝖀𝖒𝖆𝖗𝖒𝖊 𝖉𝖆𝖘 𝕷𝖊𝖇𝖊𝖓, 𝖓𝖎𝖈𝖍𝖙 𝖆𝖚𝖘𝖇𝖊𝖚𝖙𝖊𝖓.
Amt IV

Turnagain

Post by Turnagain »

"Ghost" is just a catch-all term for another unknowable.

Huntinger

Post by Huntinger »

Turnagain wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:27 am
"Ghost" is just a catch-all term for another unknowable.
interesting ;)

𝖀𝖒𝖆𝖗𝖒𝖊 𝖉𝖆𝖘 𝕷𝖊𝖇𝖊𝖓, 𝖓𝖎𝖈𝖍𝖙 𝖆𝖚𝖘𝖇𝖊𝖚𝖙𝖊𝖓.
Amt IV

Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Turnagain wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:51 pm

But Blake, how will you ever know if life and death are just a sequence of events? If there's no afterlife you won't know anything. You'll just be dead.

If anyone figures this one out for real, I would be interested.

It bothered Fritz a bit before he kicked off. He did not have a good experience with the Roman Catholic Church, both of his parents being German immigrants. His wife was raised Lutheran and it was helpful for her to have some support from the faithful, and she found a non-denominational Christian lady pastor to help her with it. I met her and she was very nice. She did not have a problem that Fritz did not believe in God. I am glad that Covid lockdowns were not a thing yet. It is hard enough to visit a nursing home or care facility let alone be in one. Fritz beat leukemia just before I met him in person back in 2001, but when it relapsed a couple of years before he died he just did not have that much fight left in him.

My Dad is an octogenarian and lost his brother suddenly back in 2016. They were very close, only about a year apart in age. He was in great health but just died in his sleep. Both my Mom and my Dad have had some health problems. My Dad had bypass surgery but never had a heart attack so is doing well. My Mom recovered from the same illness as Fritz and is reaching the five-year mark cancer-free. Both are in the Covid high-risk group so are taking precautions.

Anyway, my Dad says that he is resolved that he will be kicking the bucket sooner rather than later. My Mom probably is too, although it really helped her when she was sick that my Dad was there to take care of her. It would be bad if either of them went first. Dad quotes the passage in Ecclesiastes where there is a time for all seasons─a time to be born, a time to live, and a time to die. I don't think that mortality bothers him much, but he is religious.

I'm not religious. Mortality doesn't bother me that much. I barely survived my 2005 accident. We came from Stardust and that is where we will end up. The way I look at it is that this is just the way that it is. A few friends have pets that I remember when they were newborns, and now they are old and just hanging on. They do not live as long as we do and there is nothing that we can ultimately do about it.

I guess sentient and intelligent animals with complex language know about their mortality, and it does seem like a waste that you can only accomplish so much and then, poof. I'm old enough to recognize that hindsight is 20/20. It would be nice to have the energy and idealism of youth combined with the wisdom and knowledge of age, without the cynicism.

So I saw the big Christmas star. It was not that impressive and I don't think that the Star of Bethlehem was anything but pious fiction. But the alignment of Jupiter and Saturn was a "once in a lifetime event," so there is that.

This has been a bit of a rough year, but Happy Christmas and Merry Holidays to you all. Thanks for participating in the forum, and here's to hoping that the New Year will be a much better one.

“So people are getting injured, and our job is to protect this business, and a part of my job is to also help people. If there’s somebody hurt, I’m running into harm’s way.
That’s why I have my rifle because I need to protect myself, obviously.
But I also have my med-kit.”

~ "Siege" Kyle Rittenhouse
(Kenosha, WI - 25 AUGUST 2020)

Turnagain

Post by Turnagain »

Scott wrote:
If anyone figures this one out for real, I would be interested.
Careful what you wish for, Scott. You could end up like the extinct race of beings who DID figure that out.

At any rate, thanks for the site and wish that I could do more to support than just saying "Thanks" and wishing you a Merry Christmas and prosperous new year. Hopefully that will change in the not too distant future. It's great to see the steady increase in the guest numbers and am looking forward to even more. So, Merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous new year to you and yours.