Nessie wrote: ↑13 Jul 2020, 15:38
EG operations were separate from AR. They took place at the same time, but came under different authorities and operated in different areas.
The Einsatzgruppe V
entered the city of Ciechanow
Poland on September 10, 1939, and carried out first mass arrests among local Polish intelligentsia. Einsatzgruppe V, SS-Standartenfürer Ernst Damzog, acted with 3rd Army; The 3rd Army was activated on September 1, 1939, the day German forces invaded Poland. The wiki
during the Nazi German occupation, in November 1942, the majority of the Jewish community were transported to the Red Forest (Czerwony Bór) northeast of town and murdered in a mass shooting. During the war many Polish Jews and resistance fighters were executed by the Germans in the castle.
The Red Wood Forest is 100km away from Ciechanow, further if one is to go by road; there are no railway lines it appears.
Treblinka which was apparently having their morning Ersatz Jude roast 4 months prior to to the Ciechanow executions (July 23, 1942) is exactly the same distance (give or take a few km); it begs the question to ask why these people were sent to the Red Wood Forest to be expunged when there was an extermination camp the same distance away.
The reason is because in the area the Red Wood Forest was the extermination area of rebels and partizani, insurgents and communist terrorists. Another story from wiki
The number of Jews herded into the Łomża Ghetto from surrounding villages and towns including Jedwabne, Stawiski, Piątnica, Rotki, Wizna, Łomża, and others, ranged from 10,000 to 18,000. Over two-thousand people were murdered in the Giełczyn Forest outside of town. Many Jews perished from malnutrition and diseases such as dysentery and typhus. The rest were shipped to Auschwitz. The Łomża synagogue was destroyed. The ghetto was liquidated in the final deportation action on 1 November 1942
On google maps the Gielczyn Forest and Czerwony bor Forest are one and the same. Giełczyn is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Łomża, within Łomża County. It lies approximately 6 kilometres south of Łomża. The village is located at the north-eastern edge of a large forest complex known as the Red Wood (Czerwony Bór), a place of Polish and Jewish martyrology during World War II; between 1941 and 1944
, during Nazi German occupation of Poland, German commandos
carried out mass killings of Poles and the Polish Jews. Trucked in from the Łomża Ghetto among other places, executed into pits on the outskirts of the Giełczyn forest.
This would not make sense when there is an extermination centre within an hours drive from either of the two places.
It would only make sense if this was the place of execution and not the konzentrationslager Treblinka B.