The Bad Arolsen archives are to be opened

Discuss the alleged Nazi genocide or other wartime atrocities without fear of censorship. No bullying of fellow posters is allowed at RODOH. If you can't be civil, please address the argument and not the participants. Do not use disparaging alterations of the user-names of other RODOH posters or their family members. Failure to heed warnings from Moderators will result in a 24 hour ban (or longer if necessary).
Charles Traynor

The Bad Arolsen archives are to be opened

Post by Charles Traynor » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:36 pm

Spiegel Online are reporting the Bad Arolson archives are to be opened. They also claim this will be the "Nail in the coffin of Holocaust denial". If only I had a penny for every time exterminationists made these types of rash claims about revisionism, I'd be a rich man.

Fifty Million Nazi Documents: Germany Agrees to Open Holocaust Archive

By Charles Hawley in Berlin

In a dramatic policy reversal, Germany on Tuesday announced it would work toward opening the vast Holocaust archives stored in a small, central German village. Some 17 million individual fates may soon be open to historians and the public.

For years, the United States, France, Poland and a number of other countries have been trying to convince Germany to consent to the opening of the so-called "Holocaust Archives" stored in the north-central German town of Bad Arolsen. Citing privacy concerns and fears of lawsuits, however, the German government had consistently refused. The 30 to 50 million documents -- compiled by the Nazis during World War II and outlining the personal fates of 17 million Holocaust and forced labor victims -- remained off limits to scholars and historians.

But on Tuesday, Germany changed its mind. At a press conference at the US Holocaust Museum, German Justice Minister Brigitte Zypries said that Berlin would work with Washington to make the archives public. A number of details remain to be worked out, but Zypries said the process should not take more than six months.

"We still have negotiations to do," US special envoy for Holocaust issues Edward B. O'Donnell told the Associated Press. "Our goal is to reach an agreement as soon as possible."

Meticulous Nazi records
An initial hurdle is approaching in mid-May. The archive is overseen by an 11-nation group (Germany, the US, Italy, Poland, France, Belgium, Britain, Greece, Israel, Luxembourg and the Netherlands) that meets annually to discuss issues related to the administration of the archive, and all decisions made about the vast trove of documents must be unanimous. In 1998, the group decided in principle to open the archive, but it has made little progress toward that goal. Germany, says Udo Jost, a press spokesman for the International Tracing Service which is charged with administering the archive, has often been the country putting its foot on the brakes. In the past, the files were made available for use by the International Tracing Service, an arm of the International Red Cross to help people trace displaced relatives whom the Nazis sent to concentration camps or used as slave laborers. But that work has been completed and some members, including the US, contend that access should be opened up for researchers and private citizens.

By making the vast records public, many Holocaust survivors and families of victims will be able to obtain a much clearer picture of what happened to their relatives. The Nazis were meticulous record keepers and documented the fates of a huge number of their victims. Historians hope that by learning more about individual fates, a more sharply focused image of how the Holocaust worked will emerge.

"We will definitely be able to learn more about individual cases," Jost told SPIEGEL ONLINE. "Whether it will lead to a completely different view of the Holocaust, I don't know about that. History will definitely not have to be rewritten."

In fact, many are hoping it does just the opposite. Citing rising anti-Semitism, US Holocaust Museum Director Sarah Bloomfield said the possible opening of the archive couldn't be more timely. Historian Frederick Taylor, the British author of "Dresden: Tuesday, Feb. 13, 1945" who is currently working on a new book on the Berlin Wall, says the material held in the archive will not only make it possible for "the millions of individual tragedies that made up the Holocaust to be properly and respectfully recorded," but may also put a damper on the widespread virus of Holocaust denial.

Nail in the coffin of Holocaust denial

Opening the archives "will help genuine researchers and act to the disadvantage of the deniers, who treat the Holocaust as if it were a vast, undocumented fantasy created after 1945," Taylor wrote in an e-mail to SPIEGEL ONLINE. "Every true and personal story, every fate solidly documented, represents a small nail in the coffin of Holocaust denial."

Pressure to open the archive had been mounting in recent years and a number of media reports, including a February story in the New York Times which accused the German government of blocking the opening of the archives and cast Germany in the bad guy role. Berlin vigorously denied the Times allegations and again cited concerns for the privacy of the individuals whose fates are filed away in the 25 kilometers of documents. Berlin also noted that the "Bonn Agreements," which were signed in 1955 and provide the legal framework for the administration of the archive, would have to be amended before anything could be done.

The German turn-around on the issue is of particular interest to historians who have long been doing battle with Germany's restrictive privacy laws. The opening of the archive, said Taylor, provides "refreshing evidence of a new pragmatism in Germany's attitude towards its past. The privacy laws in Germany are at best a little over-fastidious, at worst, downright obstructive."
Full article here
Kitty Hart-Moxon (1998): "Believe me, I came into Auschwitz in a much worse condition than I actually left it."

Scott
Site Admin

Re: The Bad Arolsen archives are to be opened

Post by Scott » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:16 pm

Yeah, that is good news. The more we know the better, as Roberto used to say.

But whenever they open up archives to the public, they still have to be very careful to "vet" the researchers because it is so easy to end up with intrepid Goyim like Eric Hunt going in and then literally digging out gems in the manure.

:lol:

“Now we have forced Hitler to war so he no longer can peacefully annihilate one piece of the Treaty of Versailles after the other.”
~ Major General J.F.C. Fuller,
historian – England

theblackrabbitofinlé

Post by theblackrabbitofinlé » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:48 pm

I bet they operate on the same principal as the Bundesarchiv, where to get copies of anything you have to get permission from a committee, and even if they agree, the copies can only be made by a private company and the whole process could take weeks.

In the British and American national archives, you're allowed to take in a camera and can photograph almost anything in their collection.

https://www.bundesarchiv.de/imperia/md/ ... _2007_.pdf
We just wish to point out to the court that is not a signed sworn statement of Dr. Bender but merely a translation of an alleged or purported statement of Dr. Bender, the original of which, like many other things, is not to be found today.
- Defence counsel, Dachau trial, 7 August 1947

Henry

Post by Henry » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:59 pm

theblackrabbitofinlé wrote:I bet they operate on the same principal as the Bundesarchiv, where to get copies of anything you have to get permission from a committee, and even if they agree, the copies can only be made by a private company and the whole process could take weeks.

In the British and American national archives, you're allowed to take in a camera and can photograph almost anything in their collection.

https://www.bundesarchiv.de/imperia/md/ ... _2007_.pdf
I very much doubt that permission will be given to the general public for the copying and publishing of ANYTHING that may breach Germany's barking-mad legal system.

And I'm concerned about what may have been 'deposited' for future 'discovery.'

Nessie

Post by Nessie » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:20 am

We all agree on something, complete open access is the best and only acceptable way forward.
Consistency and standards in evidencing viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2721#p87772
My actual argument viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2834

Scott - On a side note, this forum is turning into a joke with the vicious attacks--and completely unnecessary vitriol--that everybody is making upon each other.

DasPrussian

Post by DasPrussian » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:58 pm

Charles Traynor wrote:Spiegel Online are reporting the Bad Arolson archives are to be opened. They also claim this will be the "Nail in the coffin of Holocaust denial". If only I had a penny for every time exterminationists made these types of rash claims about revisionism, I'd be a rich man.

Hey Traynor, you know them individuals you named that you wanted me to denounce ? The likes of Stat Mech etc ? Well I was just having a look at their forum, contemplating having a quiet word like, to inform them of your disgust and all that, when I suddenly fell upon a thread by said Stat Mechanic regarding your above comment. http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 65#p502648

Well Traynor, it appears you've mad yourself look a right twat, as the date of the article you linked to was 19.04.2006 !!!!!!! Yes, 2006 !

Ok, maybe we won't be too harsh on you, as I am aware that wearing a white pointy hat with slits for eyes can obscure your vision, but maybe next time you come on here talking complete shite, make sure you have enough bog roll to wipe it up afterwards, nowotimean ? HAHAHA

PS look forward to your next announcement - The Berlin Wall has been knocked down !
All I want for Christmas is a Dukla Prague away kit

Nessie

Post by Nessie » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:03 pm

Charles Traynor owes the forum another apology for a deception.

Scott - On a side note, this forum is turning into a joke with the vicious attacks--and completely unnecessary vitriol--that everybody is making upon each other.

DasPrussian

Post by DasPrussian » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:41 pm

When Traynor has returned back from his journey in his time machine, maybe he can tell us who he reckons will win the World Cup. I've heard Brazil have a secret weapon, a young black lad by the name Pele. Although my moneys on the Argies and their star striker Diego Maradonna.

England's got no chance, that Stanley Mathews is f******g shite !
All I want for Christmas is a Dukla Prague away kit

Nessie

Post by Nessie » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:14 pm

Remember he said this in Exterminatonists Beware!

"Exterminationists beware! In 2016 you will be facing a newly energised Charles Traynor. A man of action who will once again be leading his team of independent investigators on fieldtrips to the sites of the former NS labour and transit camps of Europe."

:lol:

theblackrabbitofinlé

Post by theblackrabbitofinlé » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:31 pm

DasPrussian wrote:When Traynor has returned back from his journey in his time machine, maybe he can tell us who he reckons will win the World Cup. I've heard Brazil have a secret weapon, a young black lad by the name Pele. Although my moneys on the Argies and their star striker Diego Maradonna.

England's got no chance, that Stanley Mathews is f******g shite !
Speaking of shit footballers. I've seen plenty of stinkers at Loftus Rd this season, but nothing as bad as the team who visited on Saturday.

We just wish to point out to the court that is not a signed sworn statement of Dr. Bender but merely a translation of an alleged or purported statement of Dr. Bender, the original of which, like many other things, is not to be found today.
- Defence counsel, Dachau trial, 7 August 1947