The Birkenau camp was huge, covering 425 acres.
The boundaries of Birkenau stretch a mile in one direction and a mile and a half in the other direction. When construction was completed, it had over 300 buildings with a capacity of 200,000 prisoners.
The entire Birkenau camp was enclosed by an electrified barbed wire fence around the perimeter of the camp.
The interior of the camp was divided into nine sections and each section was surrounded by another electrified barbed wire fence.
Men and women were in separate sections, and the younger children stayed in the women's section.
There were no crematory ovens at Birkenau in 1942, and at the Auschwitz main camp, there were only three ovens, which could burn 340 bodies in a 24-hour period.
Birkenau was built on marshy ground which had to be drained. The ground at Birkenau is so wet that there are spots at the western end that look like a bog garden with plants that grow only in wet places.
The photo below shows prisoners digging a drainage ditch at the western end of the camp. This was part of Heinrich Himmler's ambitious plan to set up a huge farm at Auschwitz.
According to the book entitled "Auschwitz, 1270 to the present" by Deborah Dwork and Robert Jan van Pelt, Heinrich Himmler got the idea of using the Auschwitz concentration camp to establish a large agricultural estate as early as November 1940 after Auschwitz Commandant Rudolf Höß paid him a visit. "The two men began to plan the transformation of Auschwitz into an agricultural experiment station which would service the entire region."
At that early date, the projected inmate population of Auschwitz was 10,000 and Himmler envisioned that most of them would work on the experimental farm, according to Dwork and van Pelt. "It was the metamorphosis of the camp into an agricultural estate worked by slaves that caught [Himmler's] fancy; it fit his fantasy of the German east, and he was enraptured by the vision of Auschwitz playing a central role in the reclamation of that area."
The town of Auschwitz had originally been built by Germans and German farmers had formerly owned the land in the area, which Himmler wanted to reclaim for the Greater German Reich.
According to the book by Dwork and Van Pelt, most of the labour on the Auschwitz-Birkenau experimental farm was done by women.
http://www.scrapbookpages.com/Auschwitz ... au01B.html
In this image we see Allied bombs descending over Birkenau which were targeting the war industry factories.
Here we see children — some dressed by Soviet photographers in oversized striped prisonwear for propaganda purposes — photographed by Soviet forces at the war's end. Children who according to the currently enforced narrative should have been "gassed" upon arrival at Birkenau.