Help, pretty please

The RODOH Lounge is a place for general discussion, preferably non-Holocaust. The Lounge is only lightly moderated but please keep this a friendly place to chat with and get to know your fellow board participants.
neugierig

Help, pretty please

Post by neugierig »

Hi gang.

I need some help and please remember, you are talking to a techno idiot.

I have some books I would like to scan and make available to whoever is interested, one of them Die Kriegsschuld des Widerstandes, by Annelies von Ribbentrop. In German, I know, but it might be of use to someone, it contains good material.

Now my question: How do I go about it? Usually I scan the pages someone wants, then copy and past to a MS office document, or Open Office, and send. But that is very time consuming. What I would like to do is scan two pages at a time, send them to Acrobat (I seem to have an old version) and then assemble all of it as a in pdf format. How do I put it all together in sequence?

Does anybody understand what I am talking about? If so, you win first prize and if you can help me, the sky is the limit. :lol:

Thanks
Wilf
Ohne Meinungsfreiheit gibt es keine Freiheit (frei nach I. Kant)

SUPPORT RODOH!
Would you like to financially contribute to the upkeep of RODOH? Please kindly contact Scott Smith ([email protected]). Any and all contributions are welcome!

Charles Traynor

Re: Help, pretty please

Post by Charles Traynor »

Wilf, I would suggest the task you are setting yourself is akin to being forever cursed to read a rather dull and never ending multi-screen post by Herr Muehlenkamp.

Let me ask you some questions which could make life a little easier for those capable of solving your problem:

When you scan pages of text do you use the (OCR) optical character recognition software supplied with your scanner to lift the text directly from the documents, or do you take a picture of the entire page?

What operating system are you using?

You say you have an old version of Acrobat so I think you could be very disappointed. Virtually everyone has Acrobat reader, but you will need to have Acrobat Writer to create PDF documents. Microsoft Word Office 2007 can create PDF files. I haven’t got a clue about earlier versions. I suspect others here will probably be able to point you in the direction of free software capable of creating the files you want to produce.
Kitty Hart-Moxon (1998): "Believe me, I came into Auschwitz in a much worse condition than I actually left it."

neugierig

Post by neugierig »

Muehlenkamp, Muehlenkamp, Charles? I seem to remember something by that name but can't place it at the moment. ;)

My old PC died of a virus infection, my new one has most of the bells and whistles, they are wasted on me. It has Windows7 as the operating system (is that what it is called?) My scanner is an Epson Perfection V350 Photo, a few years old. I installed MS Office 2010 but it gives me headaches, a friend kind of fixed it but whenever I need it, it needs to install and configure. A pain but I mostly use Open Office anyway, only when I need to send something I send it in the MS format.

Veronica sends me scans of books as a pdf file, two pages at a time in numerical sequence. I can scan it the same way, but how do I assemble it so it is in sequence, p.1 to whatever? She told me her scanner does it for her, all she has to do is turn some pages around. My scanner does not, I understand Adobe Acrobat will do it, but it costs mucho dollars.

Is there a cheaper way out?

Thanks for your help Charles
Wilf

Charles Traynor

Post by Charles Traynor »

Unfortunately this sounds like one of those undertakings where one can’t get away with not having all the correct kit. Scott is most likely the best person to advise you on how to go about your task.

In the meantime you could try this programme I found at the cnet site. It’s free and had a very good write up.

http://download.cnet.com/PDFill-PDF-and ... ag=mncol;5
Kitty Hart-Moxon (1998): "Believe me, I came into Auschwitz in a much worse condition than I actually left it."

neugierig

Post by neugierig »

Thanks again, Charles. I'll have a look at the program you send a link to, but you are right, to do the job right, one needs the proper tools. I need to now sit back and decide.

Thanks
Wilf

neugierig

Post by neugierig »

To all of you, laying awake at night tying to come up with a way to help me – relax, I have it. “When all else fails...”, call Epson and they told me how. Now I just need to remember it all, and also how to get it back to normal. :roll:

Regards
Wilf