Music

The RODOH Lounge is a place for general discussion, preferably non-Holocaust. The Lounge is only lightly moderated but please keep this a friendly place to chat with and get to know your fellow board participants.
been-there
Propositions Moderator

Re: Music

Post by been-there »

ELVIS IS STILL BIG IN LAS VEGAS

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SkS55znd_2Q

And here is an entertaining, heart-warming, charming and kind documentary on Pete

https://vimeo.com/276103410
Last edited by Scott on Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: video formatting
"When people who are honestly mistaken learn the truth,
they either cease being mistaken
or they cease being honest"
-- Anonymous

SUPPORT RODOH!
Would you like to financially contribute to the upkeep of RODOH? Please kindly contact Scott Smith ([email protected]). Any and all contributions are welcome!

been-there
Propositions Moderator

Post by been-there »

-- Anonymous

torus9

Post by torus9 »

R.I.P. Lyle Mays, pianist/keyboardist with the Pat Metheny Group.

First Circle

been-there
Propositions Moderator

Post by been-there »

FOR TORUS
Back in the 70s, the landscape in Manchester was barren. There was a lot of progressive bands around, but they’d kind of ran their course and for teenagers like me there was nothing out there. Then this band called the Sex Pistols came along, and they were singing about things that were relevant to us rather than just mushrooms in the sky. We needed something a bit more real and direct, and that’s when punk came along. After forming the Buzzcocks we had three weeks to rehearse for a gig opening up for the Sex Pistols in Manchester. That night changed my life. Before that I was wandering around listening to music, but after that gig, punk went up and down the country like a carpet bomb and it kind of changed everything.

It was a very exciting time because everything seemed brand new and people became alive. You could see it in their faces. Suddenly there was something relevant to gravitate towards, and people did so readily. There were people like Mark E. Smith and the guys from Joy Division and New Order in the crowd that night. They saw us playing and they thought, ‘Well we can do that too’. So we inspired a lot of people in that way, just as the Sex Pistols had inspired us. It was a magical moment and we all came alive. No one knew how long it was going to last, and we didn’t really care — it was happening then and there.

There was a lot of thinking involved with punk, about your consciousness and how you related to music and the world around you. That still resonates today. There was that nucleus of bands at the beginning – us, The Jam, The Damned, Sex Pistols and The Clash – and we all started off together back in 1976. Then there became more interpretations of it than the bible. But people have been influenced by punk in their own way, and that’s great. Most of the bands in my top 10 are the ones that were the catalyst and the instigators of all of it. What came after was league division two!

I’m always thinking about the future these days, but when you stop and look back at some of these records you realise what an amazing legacy was left by all the bands from that era. And hopefully there’s something that younger bands can take from this well and carry it on…

https://www.loudersound.com/features/th ... hool-of-76
-- Anonymous

torus9

Post by torus9 »

been-there wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:35 pm
FOR TORUS
Well, just as effective as melatonin and free as well.

Sex Cocks and Buzz Pistols, charming. I remember when Mordechai Richler's son, Daniel, interviewed John Lydon and inquired about his future aspirations. Lydon responded with, "keeping my waistline lower than my age." To which Richler responded, "and your IQ higher than room temperature?"
I don't think Lydon got it, but he still looked bloody cold.

I really don't give a damn about bygone and disenfranchised youth hawking their inadequacies. Alot of punk came as across as, "ya know what mate? I'm phucking done with highbrow nouns and adjectives. That's roight, I'm using nothing but phuckin verbs from now on! That's my language."

been-there
Propositions Moderator

Post by been-there »

torus9 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:34 am
been-there wrote:
FOR TORUS

Sex Cocks and Buzz Pistols, charming. I remember when Mordechai Richler's son, Daniel, interviewed John Lydon and inquired about his future aspirations. Lydon responded with, "keeping my waistline lower than my age." To which Richler responded, "and your IQ higher than room temperature?"

I really don't give a damn about bygone and disenfranchised youth hawking their inadequacies. Alot of punk came as across as, "ya know what mate? I'm phucking done with highbrow nouns and adjectives. That's roight, I'm using nothing but phuckin verbs from now on! That's my language."
Have you seen the film ‘Scott Pilgrim vs the world’?

I recommend it to you, if you haven’t.
It’s for teenagers but it might help you access your inner punk. :D
(PLUS it’s a delightful, very entertaining and amusing film). :)

As for the Punk rock you are reacting to, I DO recognise it, but see it as just the small and most obnoxious part of what I am discussing.

I worked in the Village in B’mth as a barman when I was at Art College so saw all the punk concerts there for free. Thus saw almost every band playing on the Punk circuit. I regard it as a glorious time. (Even though my favourite bands prior to that were Hendrix, Yes, Gentle Giant, Jethro Tull, Santana, Led Zep, etc.)

As for John Lydon’s IQ.
I think its certainly higher than you are giving him credit for. Have you ever heard him being interviewed? He was and often still is playing up an obnoxious, anarchic role for the media, but can also be suprisingly articulate and insightful.

Did you know he upset the inbred-idiot, upper-class, establishment dimwits in England so much that they took him to court charged with treason and therefore literally facing the death penalty for writing a song lyric critical of the Queen and a song lyric eulogizing anarchy in the UK?
JOHN:
I don’t know anyone else, really, in modern pop music who has been charged in such an overly dramatic way, and for what? I haven’t hurt anyone. I haven’t shot anyone. I haven’t killed anyone. I haven’t beaten anybody up. I just use words.

What do you remember about the first-ever concert you played?
It was at Saint Martin’s art college that Glen Matlock went to. It was 15 minutes of the same song played forwards, backwards and starting in the middle.

What song would that have been?
Probably a [Small Faces] song. [Sings] “Want you to know that I love you,” yeah. There you go. It was called “What’cha Gonna Do About It.”
That was a hard gig because we had no monitors. I’d never heard my voice, really, until about eight gigs in — not even in rehearsal or anything. I was just imagining how wonderful I sounded and the first gig ever to have monitors was at the 100 Club in London, supporting Eddie and the Hot Rods. I was so freaked out when I heard myself. To me, I sounded like a donkey. Then I put a microphone through [the monitor]. I was so angry, and then they were angry at me. They had every right, but, oh, my gosh. It’s such a surprise to hear yourself for the first time. We played in rehearsal for so long and nobody told me just how bad it was. They put up with a lot, them fellas. Poor things.

you said you never considered yourself a singer, that you were more of a writer. When did you first consider yourself a singer?
I never considered singing because of the Catholic Church. There’s no way I ever wanted a priest to have access to me, so I avoided the choir and anything to do with “Tra-la-la”. And then there I am running around King’s Road wearing an “I Hate Pink Floyd” T-shirt and I’m asked to sing in a band. I mean, is that luck? What is that? It’s hilarious is what it is.
-- Anonymous

torus9

Post by torus9 »

been-there wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:35 am
torus9 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:34 am
been-there wrote:
FOR TORUS

Have you seen the film ‘Scott Pilgrim vs the world’?

I recommend it to you, if you haven’t.
It’s for teenagers but it might help you access your inner punk. :D

Did you know he upset the inbred-idiot, upper-class, establishment dimwits in England so much that they took him to court charged with treason and therefore literally facing the death penalty for writing a song lyric critical of the Queen and a song lyric eulogizing anarchy in the UK?
I haven't seen the film but I don't watch films or movies at all anymore. I'm sure it's full of anecdotal trivia that would have me sleeping in no time.

"God save the queen...man." I know. The royals only boosted album sales. Well done, Guv-nah!

And "music"? Keep your eyes and ears open for a truly grand and real time Requiem. Coming soon to a theatre near you...

blake121666

Post by blake121666 »

Now here is talent
Last edited by blake121666 on Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

blake121666

Post by blake121666 »

Kumbaya, baby!