Aspects of Hitler's personal life

The RODOH Lounge is a place for general discussion, preferably non-Holocaust. The Lounge is only lightly moderated but please keep this a friendly place to chat with and get to know your fellow board participants.
been-there
Propositions Moderator

Re: Aspects of Hitler's personal life

Post by been-there »

Friedrich Paul Berg wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:56 pm
Thank you so much, been-there, for all of that.
The pictures and especially the eyes of Hitler and his friends tell us what was really going on. They loved him and why not?

The book about him by his architect, name escapes me, may be the most telling about that personal magic he had as no one else. Can we ever even imagine seeing another such "Christ-like" person in our lifetimes? I think not.
FPBerg
Thanks Fritz. Happy to hear you enjoyed it. :)

Did you mean the architect Albert Speer or Herman Geisler?

I presume you mean Geisler.

Giesler wrote Ein anderer Hitler (‘Another Hitler’) parts of which have been republished in English translation with the victor-propaganda appealing title of ‘The artist within the Warlord’.

Speer wrote Erinnerungen, (‘Memories’) republished in English translation with the victor-propaganda appealing title of ‘Inside the Third Reich’.

Here is Geisler's book in German: https://archive.org/details/GieslerHerm ... ererHitler

Here is a quote from it were Giesler wrote about something Hitler said in August 1943, after the devastating air attack on Hamburg.

Hitler was recalling his decision not to attack the remaining British troops at Dunkirk in 1940 when he said:
“It didn't agree with my character to step on the one who lays on the ground.”
He saw the British as essentially defeated, and that they must themselves recognise that fact.

He followed that with this: “After awhile I had to rethink. I was mistaken — magnanimity will not be recognised. What you see there [in photos of the Hamburg victims] is destructive brutality. Again and again one tries not to believe this, [but] now I know — no mercy.”
-- Herman Giesler, ‘The artist within the Warlord’, p50.)
At the very beginning of his own book Ein Anderer Hitler, Giesler writes that in the Landsberg war crimes prison yard in 1948, his friend Prof. Franz Alfred Six once asked him:

Giesler, you were his architect — what impressed you most about Hitler?

“The compelling fascination! There was a radiation from him that I could not escape.
How often have I seen this happen to others as well: when he spoke to soldiers he distinguished with medals, to generals and field marshals to whom he gave orders.
This charisma was extraordinary.”

From https://carolynyeager.net/what-i-learne ... nn-giesler
"When people who are honestly mistaken learn the truth,
they either cease being mistaken
or they cease being honest"
-- Anonymous

Would you like to financially contribute to the upkeep of RODOH, kindly contact Scott Smith. All contributions are welcome!

Friedrich Paul Berg

Post by Friedrich Paul Berg »

It was Hermann Giesler, definitely.

FPBerg

been-there
Propositions Moderator

Post by been-there »

On November 9th 1923, Ulrich Graf — in his duty as a bodyguard — took five bullets upon his own body which had been aimed at Adolf Hitler. Graf survived.

The medal in honour of his bravery which he received has just been sold at Auction for £47,450 (€52,700).

Commenting on the sale, Hansons’ militaria expert Adrian Stevenson said:
“It’s a world-record price for a medal of its type – a phenomenal result. Interest in this medal was high right from the start. It’s a remarkable historical piece with a huge story to tell.
The [NSDAP putsch members] were walking to a monument that honoured the Bavarian Army when they met a police cordon across the road. Police opened fire and Graf took a bullet to the shoulder before throwing himself on Hitler and taking five bullets. Now Graf was a big, burly wrestler and obviously Hitler was slightly built. Would he have survived those five bullets? Who knows?
...Some countries like France ban the sale of Third Reich memorabilia. There was interest in this medal from all over the world including Germany. You’re allowed to collect Third Reich material there but it is illegal to show it in public.”
Hmmmm? Graf doesn't look so "big" and "burly" nor does Hitler look "slight" to me. But, hey, lets not
avoid another opportunity to put Hitler down in some way.

As a result of the sale and the publicity it has received, a Jew who is the head of a leading UK Holocaust charity called for the UK government to legislate a prohibition of the sale of NSDAP memorabilia.
The Holocaust Educational Trust's Karen Pollock, said the sale of a Blutorden (Blood Order) Medal by Hanson’s auctioneers in Derby was “not appropriate”, adding that it might be “time for clearer regulation on the sale of these items.”
The Blood Order (German: Blutorden), officially known as the Decoration in Memory of 9 November 1923 (German: Medaille zur Erinnerung an den 9. November 1923), was one of the most prestigious decorations in the Nazi Party. During March 1934, Hitler authorized the Blood Order to commemorate the 9 November 1923 coup attempt of the NSDAP.

The medal is silver, with the obverse bearing a depiction of an eagle grasping an oakleaf wreath. Inside the wreath is the date 9.Nov. and to the right is the inscription München 1923–1933. The reverse shows the entrance of the Feldherrnhalle in relief (where the coup ended in defeat), and directly above is the angled swastika with sun rays in the background. Along the top edge is the inscription: UND IHR HABT DOCH GESIEGT (And you have won after all).
Here is a short synopsis of what led to these events...
A series of financial events unfolded in the years 1921 through 1923 that would propel the NSDAP to new heights of daring and would even prompt Hitler into attempting to take over Germany.

In April of 1921, the victorious European Allies of World War I, notably France and Britain, presented a bill to Germany demanding payment for damages caused in the war which they falsely claimed Germany had started. This bill (33 billion dollars) for war reparations had the immediate effect of causing ruinous inflation in Germany.

The German currency, the mark, slipped drastically in value. It had been four marks to the U.S. dollar until the war reparations were announced. Then it became 75 to the dollar and in 1922 sank to 400 to the dollar. The German government asked for a postponement of payments. The French refused. The Germans defied them by defaulting on their payments. In response to this, in January 1923, the French Army occupied the industrial part of Germany known as the Ruhr.

The German mark fell to 18,000 to the dollar. By July 1923, it sank to 160,000. By August, 1,000,000. And by November 1923, it took 4,000,000,000 marks to obtain a dollar.

Germans lost their life savings. Salaries were paid in worthless money. Groceries cost billions. Hunger riots broke out.

For the moment, the people stood by their government, admiring its defiance of the French. But in September of 1923, the German government made the fateful decision to resume making payments. Bitter resentment and unrest swelled among the people, inciting extremist political groups to action and quickly bringing Germany to the brink of chaos.

The NSDAP and other similar groups now felt the time was right to strike. The German state of Bavaria where the Nazis were based was a hotbed of groups opposed to the democratic government in Berlin. By now, November 1923, the NSDAP, with 55,000 followers, were the biggest and best organized. With NSDAP members demanding action, Hitler knew he had to act or risk losing the leadership of his Party.

And so Hitler and the NSDAP hatched a plot in which they would kidnap the leaders of the Bavarian government and force them at gunpoint to accept Hitler as their leader. Then, according to their plan, with the aid of famous World War I General, Erich Ludendorff, they would win over the German Army, proclaim a nationwide revolt and bring down the German democratic government in Berlin.

They put this plan into action when they learned there was going to be a large gathering of businessmen in a Munich beer hall and the guests of honor were scheduled to be the Bavarian leaders they now wanted to kidnap.

On November 8, 1923, NSDAP troops under the direction of Hermann Göring surrounded the place. At 8:30 p.m., Hitler and his storm troopers burst into the beer hall causing instant panic.

Hitler fired a pistol shot into the ceiling. "Silence!" he yelled at the stunned crowd.

Hitler and Göring forced their way to the podium as armed storm troops continued to file into the hall. State Commissioner Gustav von Kahr, whose speech had been interrupted by all this, yielded the podium to Hitler.

"The National Revolution has begun!" Hitler shouted. "No one may leave the hall. Unless there is immediate quiet I shall have a machine gun posted in the gallery. The Bavarian and Reich governments have been removed and a provisional national government formed. The barracks of the Reichswehr and police are occupied. The Army and the police are marching on the city under the swastika banner!"

None of that was true, but those in the beer hall could not know otherwise.

Hitler then ordered the three highest officials of the Bavarian government into a back room. State Commissioner Kahr, along with the head of the state police, Colonel Hans von Seisser, and commander of the German Army in Bavaria, General Otto von Lossow, did as they were told and went into the room where Hitler informed them they were to join him in proclaiming a NSDAP revolution and would become part of the new government.

But to Hitler's great surprise, his three captives simply glared at him and at first even refused to talk to him. Hitler responded by waving his pistol at them, yelling: "I have four shots in my pistol! Three for you, gentlemen. The last bullet for myself!"

However, the revolution in the back room continued to go poorly for Hitler. Then, on a sudden impulse, Hitler dashed out of the room and went back out to the podium and shouted: "The government of the November criminals and the Reich President are declared to be removed. A new national government will be named this very day in Munich. A new German National Army will be formed immediately. ..The task of the provisional German National Government is to organize the march on that sinful Babel, Berlin, and save the German people! Tomorrow will find either a National Government in Germany or us dead!"

This led everyone in the beer hall to believe the men in the back room had given in to Hitler and were joining with the Nazis. There was now wild cheering for Hitler.

General Ludendorff then arrived. Hitler knew the three government leaders still in the back room would actually listen to him.

At Hitler's urging, Ludendorff spoke to the men in the back room and advised them to go along with the Nazi revolution. They reluctantly agreed, then went out to the podium and faced the crowd, showing their support for Hitler and pledging loyalty to the new regime.

An emotional Hitler spoke to the crowd: "I am going to fulfill the vow I made to myself five years ago when I was a blind cripple in the military hospital – to know neither rest nor peace until the November criminals had been overthrown, until on the ruins of the wretched Germany of today there should have arisen once more a Germany of power and greatness, of freedom and splendor."

The crowd in the beer hall roared their approval and sang "Deutschland Über Alles." Hitler was euphoric. This was turning into a night of triumph for him. Tomorrow he might actually be the new leader of Germany.

But then word came that attempts to take over several Army barracks had failed and that German soldiers inside those barracks were holding out against the NSDAP storm troopers. Hitler decided to leave the beer hall and go to the scene to personally resolve the problem.

Leaving the beer hall was a fateful error. In his absence the NSDAP revolution quickly began to unravel. The three Bavarian government leaders, Kahr, Lossow, and Seisser, slipped out of the beer hall after falsely promising Ludendorff they would remain loyal to Hitler.

Meanwhile, Hitler had no luck in getting the German soldiers who were holding out in the barracks to surrender. Having failed at that, he went back to the beer hall.

When he arrived back at the beer hall he was aghast to find his revolution fizzling. There were no plans for tomorrow's march on Berlin. Munich wasn't even being occupied. Nothing was happening.

In fact, only one building, Army headquarters at the War Ministry had been occupied by Ernst Röhm and his troopers.

In the early morning hours of November 9th, State Commissioner Kahr broke his promise to Hitler and Ludendorff and issued a statement: "Declarations extorted from me, General Lossow and Colonel von Seisser by pistol point are null and void. Had the senseless and purposeless attempt at revolt succeeded, Germany would have been plunged into the abyss and Bavaria with it."

Kahr also ordered the breakup of the NSDAP and its fighting forces.

General Lossow also abandoned Hitler and ordered German Army reinforcements into Munich to put down the NSDAP Putsch. Troops were rushed in and by dawn the War Ministry building containing Röhm and his troops was surrounded.

Hitler was up all night frantically trying to decide what to do. General Ludendorff then gave him an idea. The NSDAP would simply march into the middle of Munich and take it over. Because of his World War I fame, Ludendorff reasoned, no one would dare fire on him. He even assured Hitler the police and the Army would likely join them. The now-desperate Hitler went for the idea.

Around 11 a.m. on the morning of November 9th, a column of three thousand NSDAP supporters, led by Hitler, Göring and Ludendorff marched toward the center of Munich. Carrying one of the flags was a young party member named Heinrich Himmler.

After reaching the center of Munich, the NSDAP headed toward the War Ministry building but they encountered a police blockade. As they stood face to face with about a hundred armed policemen, Hitler yelled out to them to surrender. They didn't. Shots rang out. Both sides fired. It lasted about a minute. Sixteen NSDAP supporters and three police were killed. Göring was hit in the groin. Hitler suffered a dislocated shoulder when the man he had locked arms with was shot and pulled him down onto the pavement.

Hitler's bodyguard, Ulrich Graf, jumped onto Hitler to shield him and took several bullets, probably saving Hitler's life. Hitler was helped into a car and driven away. The rest of the NSDAP supporters scattered or were arrested. Ludendorff walked right through the line of fire to the police and was then arrested.
Last edited by Scott on Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: YT formatting

Charles Traynor

Post by Charles Traynor »

Thank you been-there, this is an immensely interesting subject.
Kitty Hart-Moxon (1998): "Believe me, I came into Auschwitz in a much worse condition than I actually left it."

been-there
Propositions Moderator

Post by been-there »

Hitler’s driver talks – he knew Hitler in the 1920’s

Manchester Union Leader

Emil Maurice photographed in 1933, wearing his ‘Blutorden’ medal for paricipation in the Munich Putsch of 1923

I began writing letters to Emil Maurice in 1967 but he did not answer. I even tried calling him from Boston, but he would not speak to me until the third call. It was then that he invited me to Munich to visit him with my tape recorder. After my final exams at my University, I visited Munich and Mr. Maurice.

He is still a kind and handsome man, though he walked with a small stoop. His once black hair now steel grey, he is a jovial and vital man. He said he immediately liked me because I did not judge him or his past associations as an early member of the Nazi party.

I spent four hours with Maurice, who showed annoyance only when I mentioned Heinrich Himmler. I restricted my questions solely to Hitler’s private life, as Maurice told me he would not field questions of a political nature.

.. .. .. .. ..

Q: When did you first meet Hitler?

A: It was in Munich, in 1919. The NSDAP was nothing then, a handful of men only.

Q: Did you see him giving a speech? Is this how you first saw him?

A: No, I met him at the Hackerkeller, across the Isar. He had been listening to another political speech. We then became friends and about a year later I started driving for him. He was a fascinating person, even from the start. He had a certain something to him.

Q: Was that his big Mercedes Benz that you started driving?

A: No, the make of his first car was a Selve. He didn’t get a Mercedes until we got out of prison, when Frau Bechstein bought him a Supercharger. For some years, I drove Hitler in the south and Schreck drove him in the north.

Q: What was Hitler like as a young man?

A: He really was nothing like you would think. He was single-minded about the movement, but also liked to relax, have meals, listen to music and go to the theater. He liked to be out and about when not engaged in party business. He liked to slouch around, as Austrians tend to do. Hard work never interested him.

Q: Were you friends?

A: Yes, definitely. We were Duzfreunde* and remained so even after he took power. People used to say we were like brothers and saw a slight resemblance between us when we were both young. I shadowed him for years.
[*Duzfreunde = friend whom one addresses with ‘du’ not ‘zie’. I.e. close friends.]

Q: And you spent one year with Hitler in prison, correct?

A: Along with Hess and some other comrades, we did, at Festung Landsberg. There he wrote Mein Kampf, though I never took dictation from him. I confess I never read the entire book.

Maurice and Hitler in Landsberg prison, 1924

Q: What happened when you both were released?

A: People don’t remember that for several years there was a speaking ban placed on Hitler. He couldn’t speak or orate. The party dwindled during this time and Hitler put more emphasis on his private life. He couldn’t advance the party as much, so he spent time in the mountains and with his friends.
It was a nice interlude for him and for me.

Q: What did his private life consist of at that time?

A: He was a man like any other. We would chase girls together, we did that for years. Even then Hitler was a real Frauenheld, a hero to women. I was in a good position to select his leftovers. People don’t understand this nowadays.

Q: What do you mean?

A: He had so many women chasing him that he could not get to them all. Anyway, he always had a very distinct preference for young, inexperienced girls. We used to go to the artists studios to see the nude girls posing. So whatever girls he didn’t want, I gladly took from him. That was a young man’s fancy then.
If they were pretty, I was fair game.

Q: But this doesn’t go with Hitler’s ascetic image.

A: Well, he wasn’t a prude, he never was. He was just prudent, but he had the weaknesses of every other man. He had many girlfriends then. Some of them fell madly in love, he just wanted a brief adventure. They always fell in love, then they had to go. I had to go around and offer them flowers and chocolates as a ‘farewell’ gift. Many broken hearts along the way. Frau Dachs could tell you a lot about that.

Q: Who is Frau Dachs?

A: She was the landlady at Hitler’s apartment at that time. Hitler was always careful with women, but still we all knew what was going on.
He had to remember always his position in the party.

Q: Tell me please about Geli Raubal.

A: She was an enchantress.

Hitler could have married her, he was only her half Uncle. I met her in 1927 and I too fell in love with her. We were crazy about each other but Hitler broke that up. He wanted her for himself.

Q: Was there a love affair between them?

A: No one knows, not even me. I can say for certain that he loved her, and it was not the typical love an Uncle has for their niece. It was far more. People here in town assumed it, so did our political enemies. They lived together. Many in the party objected to it on moral grounds, but Hitler never listened to them. He was open about Geli, the others he hid.

Q: When did you break with Hitler?

A: I wouldn’t call it a break. I no longer drove for him after he discovered Geli and I harmlessly laughing. His anger mortified me, but we continued to see one another. Hitler and I just didn’t see each other on a daily basis. Sometimes four months would pass without a meeting. But Munich then was a small town really, we still saw and spoke.

Q: Were you talking to Hitler at the time Geli shot herself?

A: That was a tragic day. No, I was not with Hitler when that happened, but we did discuss it several times later on. Her death changed him, it shattered everyone.

Q: Did you know Eva Braun, Hitler’s later wife?

A: I knew her from Hoffmann’s photography business. She was a girl behind the counter, selling prints and film, things like that.

Q: Did you ever speak to her?

A: Certainly, many times, but just casual chatter. She was only a young girl when I met her. She was by far the prettiest employee he had, everybody noticed her, I should think.

Q: Even Hitler?

A: Especially Hitler. Schreck told me the chief fancied her and I said, ‘then he has good taste.’

Q: Did you ever speak to her, get to know her?

A: I spoke to her casually at Hoffmann’s. I saw her with Hitler having lunch at his local places, this was when Geli was still alive. When Geli would be in Austria or away, Hitler would be seen with Eva at the theater or his favorite places.
Hitler only introduced her to me many years later.

Q: What year was that?

A: I believe 1935. The widow of Professor Troost redesigned his apartment, the same one where Geli had committed suicide. I know it was 1935, because I had just gotten married when our joint meeting took place.

Q: Can you talk about Hitler and Eva?

A: Hitler asked me to come around to his apartment, he wanted to show me the changes, he was proud of things like that. We had not been close for some years, but I knew I could count on him if need be. I left my wife in the anteroom and Hitler introduced me to Eva Braun in his living room there. I knew then she had a special place in his heart.

Q: Was this a love affair?

A: Yes, certainly. She lived with him for years, both in Munich and on the mountain. I could see when they were together that Hitler was both protective of her and yet very gallant. She was pretty, unassuming and girlish. Just his type.

Q: Did he introduce Eva Braun to your wife?

A: No, and I didn’t expect him to. Eva was a secret, and kept as such. It was only in later years, after the war began, that people in Munich began knowing she was his sweetheart.
-- Anonymous

been-there
Propositions Moderator

Post by been-there »

The following reminiscence, was originally published in two parts in an American magazine called Collier's on March 15th and 22nd, 1941. It comes from an Austrian physician born January 30th 1872 who had lived and practiced in Linz from 1901 till 1940. During WW2 at the age of 68 he left Austria and emigrated to America where he then lived in the Bronx, New York untill his death.
As it is on record that after this article he was interviewed by the precursor to the CIA in 1943 using an interpreter, I think its safe to presume that he didn't speak good English if he learnt any at all in his late sixties.
Consequently I presume that this reminiscence is a translation and compilation by an American journal written for an American audience during a period when the American government was not yet openly involved in WW2 and was officially neutral. So presumably also, this is a ghost-written reminsicence of the translation of an interview with Dr. Bloch that will inevitably have been 'coloured' and 'filtered' by the anti-Hitler propaganda that all of America had been subjected to since 1933 in the mass media. Yet despite that, this is a mainly positive account and description of Hitler that was recorded before WW2 turned extremely belligerent and mass-murderous.

~~ ~~ ~~~~ ~~ ~~~~ ~~ ~~~~ ~~ ~~~~ ~~ ~~

I knew Adolf Hitler as a boy and as a young man. I treated him many times and was intimately familiar with the modest surroundings in which he grew to manhood. I attended the person nearer and dearer to him than all others in her final illness — his mother.

Most biographers — both sympathetic and unsympathetic — have avoided the youth of Adolf Hitler. The unsympathetic ones have done this of necessity. They could lay their hands on only the most meagre facts. The official party biographies have skipped over this period because of their leader's wishes. Why this abnormal sensitivity about his youth? I do not know. There are no scandalous chapters which Hitler might wish to hide, unless one goes back over a hundred years to the birth of his father. Some biographers say that Alois Hitler was an illegitimate child. I cannot speak for the accuracy of this statement.

What of those early years in Linz, Austria, where Hitler spent his formative years? What kind of boy was he? What kind of a life did he lead? It is of these things that we shall speak here.

When Adolf Hitler was thirteen
First, I might introduce myself. I was born in Frauenburg, a tiny village in southern Bohemia which, in the course of my lifetime, had been under three flags: Austrian, Czechoslovakian and German. I am sixty-nine years old [this was written and published in 1941]. I studied medicine in Prague, then joined the Austrian army as a military doctor. In 1899 I was ordered to Linz, capital of Upper Austria, and the third largest city in the country. When I completed my army service in 1901 I decided to remain in Linz and practice medicine.

Dr. Eduard Bloch on his wedding day: he married Emilie Kafka (a cousin of Franz Kafka) in 1902

As a city, Linz has always been as quiet and reserved as Vienna was gay and noisy. In the period of which we are about to speak — when Adolf Hitler was a boy of 13 [actually, 14] — Linz was a city of 80,000 people. My consultation rooms and home were in the same house, an ancient baroque structure on Landstrasse, the main thoroughfare of the city.

The Hitler family moved to Linz in 1903, because, I believe, of the good schools there. The family background is well known. Alois Schicklgruber/Hitler was the son of a poor peasant girl [not poor and not a girl, she was 42 years old when she gave birth to Alois]. When he was old enough to work he got a job as a cobbler's apprentice, worked his way into the government service and became a customs inspector at Braunau, a tiny frontier town between Bavaria and Austria. Braunau is fifty miles from Linz. At fifty-six Alois Hitler became eligible for a pension and retired. Proud of his own success, he was anxious for his son to enter government service. Young Adolf violently opposed the idea. He would be an artist. Father and son fought over this while the mother, Klara Hitler, tried to maintain peace.

As long as he lived Alois Hitler persevered in trying to shape his son's destiny to his own desires. His son would have the education which had been denied him; an education which would secure him a good government job. So Father Alois prepared to leave the hamlet of Braunau for the city of Linz. Because of his government service, he would not be required to pay the full tuition for his son at the Realschule. With all this in mind he bought a small farm in Leonding, a Linz suburb.

The family was rather large. In later life Adolf has so overshadowed the others that they are, for the better part, forgotten. There was half-brother Alois, whom I never met. He left home at an early age, got a job as a waiter in London and later opened his own restaurant in Berlin. He was never friendly with his younger brother.
Then there was Paula [the mother of Geli Raubal], the oldest of the girls. She later married Herr Rubal, an official in the tax bureau in Linz. Later still, after her husband's death and her brother's rise to power, she went to Berchtesgaden to become house-keeper at Hitler's villa. Sister Klara for a while managed a restaurant for Jewish students at the University of Vienna; and sister Angela, youngest of the girls, married a Professor Hamitsch at Dresden, where she still lives.

A job for Frau Hitler
The family had barely settled in their new home outside of Linz when Alois, the father, died suddenly from an apoplectic stroke. At the time Frau Hitler was in her early forties. She was a simple, modest, kindly women. She was tall, had brownish hair which she kept neatly plaited, and a long, oval face with beautifully expressive gray-blue eyes.

Klara Hitler, photographed in the 1880's.

She was desperately worried about the responsibilities thrust upon her by her husband's death. Alois, twenty-three years her senior, had always managed the family. Now the job was hers.

It was readily apparent that son Adolf was too young and altogether too fragile to become a farmer. So her best move seemed to be to sell the place and rent a small apartment. This she did, soon after her husband's death. With the proceeds of this sale and the small pension which came to her because of her husband's government position, she managed to hold her family together.

In a small town in Austria poverty doesn't force upon one the indignities that it does in a large city. There are no slums and no serious overcrowding. I do not know the exact income of the Hitler family, but being familiar with the scale of government pensions I should estimate it at $25 a month. This small sum allowed them to live quietly and decently — unnoticed little people in an out-of-the-way town.

Their apartment consisted of three small rooms in the two-story house at No. 9 Bluetenstrasse, which is across the Danube from the main portion of Linz. Its windows gave an excellent view of the mountains.

My predominant impression of the simple furnished apartment was its cleanliness. It glistened; not a speck of dust on the chairs or tables, not a stray fleck of mud on the scrubbed floor, not a smudge on the panes in the windows. Frau Hitler was a superb housekeeper.

The Hitlers had only a few friends. One stood out above the others; the widow of the postmaster who lived in the same house.

The limited budget allowed not even the smallest extravagance. We had the usual provincial opera in Linz: not good, and not bad. Those who would hear the best went to Vienna. Seats in the gallery of our theater, the Schauspielhaus, sold for the equivalent of 10 to 15 cents in American money. Yet occupying one of these seats to hear an indifferent troupe sing Lohengrin was such a memorable occasion that Hitler records it in Mein Kampf!

For the most part the boy's recreations were limited to those things which were free: walks in the mountains, a swim in the Danube, a free band concert. He read extensively and was particularly fascinated by stories about American Indians. He devoured the books of James Fenimore Cooper, and the German writer Karl May — who never visited America and never saw an Indian.

The family diet was, of necessity, simple and rugged. Food was cheap and plentiful in Linz; and the Hitler family ate much the same diet as other people in their circumstance. Meat would be served perhaps twice a week. Most of the meals they sat down to consisted of cabbage or potato soup, bread, dumplings and a pitcher of pear and apple cider.

For clothing, they wore the rough woolen cloth we call Loden. Adolf, of course, dressed in the uniform of all small boys: leather shorts, embroidered braces, a small green hat with a feather in its band.

A remarkable maternal Love
What kind of boy was Adolf Hitler? Many biographers have put him down as harsh-voiced, defiant, untidy; as a young ruffian who personified all that is unattractive. This simply is not true. As a youth he was quiet, well-mannered and neatly dressed.

Hitler himself records that at the age of fifteen he regarded himself as a political revolutionary. Possibly. But let us look at Adolf Hitler as he impressed people about him, not as he impressed himself.

He was tall, sallow, old for his age. He was neither robust nor sickly. Perhaps "frail looking" would best describe him. His eyes — inherited from his mother — were large, melancholy and thoughtful. To a very large extent this boy lived within himself. What dreams he dreamed I do not know.

Outwardly, his love for his mother was his most striking feature. While he was not a "mother's boy" in the usual sense, I have never witnessed a closer attachment. Some insist that this love verged on the pathological. As a former intimate of the family, I do not believe this is true.

Klara Hitler adored her son, the youngest of the family. She allowed him his own way wherever possible. His father had insisted that he become an official. He rebelled and won his mother to his side. He soon tired of school, so his mother allowed him to drop his studies.

All friends of the family know how Frau Hitler encouraged his boyish efforts to become an artist; at what cost to herself one may guess.

Watercolour by Adolf Hitler

Sketch of an old women dated 1905, by Adolf Hitler

Despite their poverty, she permitted him to reject a job which was offered in the post office, so that he could continue his painting. She admired his water colours and his sketches of the countryside. Whether this was honest admiration or whether it was merely an effort to encourage his talent I do not know.

She did her best to raise her boy well. She saw that he was neat, clean and as well fed as her purse would permit.

Hitler's mother, Klara, at about the time of her marriage in 1885.

Whenever he came to my consultation room he would sit among the other patients, awaiting his turn. There was never anything seriously wrong. Possibly his tonsils would be inflamed. He would stand obedient and unflinching while I depressed his tongue and swabbed the trouble spots. Or, possibly, he would be suffering with a cold. I would treat him and send him on his way. Like any well-bred boy of fourteen or fifteen he would bow and thank me courteously.

This picture of Dr. Bloch in his office in Linz was taken in 1938 on the instructions of Martin Bormann for Hitler's "personal film file."
An inscription read: "The Führer often sat on the chair beside the desk".

I, of course, know of the stomach trouble that beset him later in life, largely as a result of bad diet while working as a common labourer in Vienna. I cannot understand the many references to his lung trouble as a youth. I was the only doctor treating him during the period in which he is supposed to have suffered from this. My records show nothing of the sort. To be sure, he didn't have the rosy cheeks and the robust good health of most of the other youngsters; but at the same time he was not sickly.

Sketch of Adolf at the age of sixteen years old.

At the Realschule young Adolf's work was anything but brilliant. As authority for this, I have the word of his former teacher, Dr. Karl Huemer, an old acquaintance of mine. I was Frau Huemer's physician. In Mein Kampf Hitler records that he was an indifferent student in most subjects, but that he loved history. This agrees with the recollections of Professor Huemer.

Desiring additional training in painting, Hitler decided he would go to Vienna to study at the Academy. This was a momentous decision for a member of a poor family. His mother worried about how he would get along. I understand that she even suggested pinching the family budget a little tighter to enable her to send him a tiny allowance. Credit to the boy, he refused. He even went further: he signed his minute inheritance over to his sisters. He was eighteen at the time.

I am not sure of the exact details of what happened on that trip to Vienna. Some contend that he was not admitted to the Academy because of his unsatisfactory art work. Others accept Hitler's statement that his rejection was due to his failure to graduate from the Realschule — the equivalent of an American high school. In any case he was home again within a few weeks. It was later in this year — 1908 [it was 1907] — that it became my duty to give Hitler what was perhaps the saddest news of his life.

One day Frau Hitler came to visit me during my morning office hours. She complained of a pain in her chest. She spoke in a quiet, hushed voice; almost a whisper. The pain, she said, had been great; enough to deep her awake nights on end. She had been busy with her household so had neglected to seek medical aid. Besides, she thought the pain would pass away. When a physician hears such a story he almost automatically thinks of cancer. An examination showed that Frau Hitler had an extensive tumor of the breast. I did not tell her of my diagnosis.

The Family Decides
I summoned the children to my office next day and stated the case frankly. Their mother, I told them, was a gravely ill woman. A malignant tumor is serious enough today, but it was even more serious thirty years ago. Surgical techniques were not so advanced and knowledge of cancer not so extensive.

Without surgery, I explained, there was absolutely no hope of recovery. Even with surgery there was but the slightest chance that she would live. In family council they must decide what was to be done.

Adolf Hitler's reaction to this news was touching. His long, sallow face was contorted. Tears flowed from his eyes. Did his mother, he asked, have no chance? Only then did I realize the magnitude of the attachment that existed between mother and son. I explained that she did have a chance; but a small one. Even this shred of hope gave him some comfort.

The children carried my message to their mother. She accepted the verdict as I was sure she would — with fortitude. Deeply religious, she assumed that her fate was God's will. It would never have occurred to her to complain. She would submit to the operation as soon as I could make preparations.

I explained the case to Dr. Karl Urban, the chief of the surgical staff at the Hospital of the Sisters of Mercy in Linz. Urban was one of the best-known surgeons in Upper Austria. He was — and is — a generous man, a credit to his profession. He willingly agreed to undertake the operation on any basis I suggested. After examination he concurred in my belief that Frau Hitler had very little chance of surviving but that surgery offered the only hope.

It is interesting to note what happened to this generous man nearly three decades later — after Anschluss [union] with Germany. Because of his political connections he was forced to abandon his position at the hospital. His son, who pioneered in brain surgery, was likewise forced from several offices.

Frau Hitler arrived at the hospital one evening in the early summer of 1908 [1907]. I do not have the exact date, for my records of the case were placed in the archives of the NSDAP in Munich. In any case, Frau Hitler spent the night in the hospital and was operated on the following morning. At the request of this gentle, harried soul I remained beside the operating table while Dr. Urban and his assistant performed the surgery. Two hours later I drove in my carriage across the Danube to the little house at No. 9 Bluetenstrasse, in the section of the city known as Urfahr. There the children awaited me. The girls received the word I brought with calm and reserve. The face of the boy was streaked with tears, and his eyes were tired and red. He listened until I had finished speaking. He has but one question. In a choked voice he asked: "Does my mother suffer?"

Hitler's worst moment
As weeks and months passed after the operation Frau Hitler's strength began visibly to fail. At most she could be out of bed for an hour or two a day. During this period Adolf spent most of his time around the house, to which his mother had returned.

He slept in the tiny bedroom adjoining that of his mother so that he could be summoned at any time during the night. During the day he hovered about the large bed in which she lay.

In illness such as that suffered by Frau Hitler, there is usually a great amount of pain. She bore her burden well; unflinching and uncomplaining. But it seemed to torture her son. An anguished grimace would come over him when he saw pain contract her face. There was little that could be done. An injection of morphine from time to time would give temporary relief; but nothing lasting. Yet Adolf seemed enormously grateful even for these short periods of release.

I shall never forget Klara Hitler during those days. She was forty-eight at the time; tall, slender and rather handsome, yet wasted by disease. She was soft-spoken, patient; more concerned about what would happen to her family than she was about her approaching death. She made no secret of these worries; or about the fact that most of her thoughts were for her son. "Adolf is still so young," she said repeatedly.

On the day of December 20, 1908 [it was actually 1907], I made two calls. The end was approaching and I wanted this good woman to be as comfortable as I could make her. I didn't know whether she would live another week, or another month; or whether death would come in a matter of hours.

So, the word that Angela Hitler brought me the following morning came as no surprise. Her mother had died quietly in the night. The children had decided not to disturb me, knowing that their mother was beyond all medical aid. But, she asked, could I come now? Someone in an official position would have to sign the death certificate. I put on my coat and drove with her to the grief-stricken cottage.

The postmaster's widow, their closest friend, was with the children, having more or less taken charge of things. Adolf, his face showing the weariness of a sleepless night, sat beside his mother. In order to preserve a last impression, he had sketched her as she lay on her deathbed.

I sat with the family for a while, trying to ease their grief. I explained that in this case death had been a saviour. They understood.

In the practice of my profession it is natural that I should have witnessed many scenes such as this one, yet none of them left me with quite the same impression. In all my career I have never seen anyone so prostrate with grief as Adolf Hitler.

I did not attend Klara Hitler's funeral, which was held on Christmas Eve. The body was taken from Urfahr to Leonding, only a few miles distant. Klara Hitler was buried beside her husband in the Catholic cemetery, behind the small, yellow stucco church. After the others — the girls, and the postmaster's widow — had left, Adolf remained behind; unable to tear himself away from the freshly filled grave. And so this gaunt, pale young man stood alone in the cold. Alone with his thoughts on Christmas Eve while the rest of the world was gay and happy.

Paula Hitler, Adolf's elder half-sister

A few days after the funeral the family came to my office. They wished to thank me for the help I had given them. There was Paula, fair and stocky; Angela, slender, pretty but rather anaemic; Klara and Adolf. The girls spoke what was in their hearts while Adolf remained silent. I recall this particular scene as vividly as I might recall something that took place last week.
Adolf wore a dark suit and a loosely knotted cravat. Then, as now, a shock of hair tumbled over his forehead. His eyes were on the floor while his sisters were talking. Then came his turn. He stepped forward and took my hand. Looking into my eyes, he said: "I shall be grateful to you forever." That was all. Then he bowed. I wonder if today he recalls this scene. I am quite sure that he does, for in a sparing sense Adolf Hitler had kept to his promise of gratitude. Favours were granted me which I feel sure were accorded no other Jew in all Germany or Austria.

Part II

Almost immediately after his mother's funeral Hitler left for Vienna, to attempt once more a career as an artist. His growth to manhood had been a painful experience for this boy who lived within himself. But ever more trying days were coming. Poor as the family was, he had at least been assured food and shelter while living at home. This couldn't be said of the days in Vienna. Hitler was entirely engrossed with the business of keeping body and soul together.

We all know something of his life there — how he worked as a hodcarrier on building-construction jobs until workmen threatened to push him off a scaffold. And we know that he shoveled snow and took any other job he could find. During this period, for three years in fact, Hitler lived in a man's hostel, the equivalent of a flophouse in any large American city. It was here that he began to dream of a world remade to his pattern.

While living in the hostel, surrounded by the human dregs of the large city, Hitler says, "I became dissatisfied with myself for the first time in my life". This dissatisfaction with himself was followed by dissatisfaction with everything about him — and the desire to alter things to his own liking.

During this period he took time out to send me a penny postcard. On the back was a message: “From Vienna I send you my greetings. Yours, always faithfully, Adolf Hitler”. It was a small thing, yet I appreciated it. I had spent a great deal of time treating the Hitler family and it was nice to know that this effort on my part had not been forgotten.

Official Nazi publications also record that I received one of Hitler's paintings — a small landscape. If I did I am not aware of it. But it is quite possible that he sent me one and that I have forgotten the matter. In Austria patients frequently send paintings or other gifts to their physicians as a mark of gratitude. Even now I have half a dozen of these oils and water colors which I have saved; but none painted by Hitler among them.

I did, however, preserve one piece of Hitler's art work. This came during the period in Vienna when he was painting post cards, posters, etc., making enough money to support himself. This was the one time in his life that Hitler was able to make successful use of his talent. He would paint these cards and dry them in front of a hot fire, which would give them a rather pleasing antique quality. Then other inmates of the hostel would peddle them. Today in Germany the few remaining samples of this work are more highly prized and sought after than the works of Picasso, Gauguin and Cézanne!
Hitler sent me one of these cards. It showed a hooded Capuchin monk hoisting a glass of bubbling champagne. Under the picture was a caption: "Prosit Neujahr (A toast to the New Year)." On the reverse side he had written a message: “The Hitler family sends you the best wishes for a Happy New Year. In everlasting thankfulness, Adolf Hitler”.

Why I put these cards aside to be saved, I do not know. Possibly it was because of the impression made upon me by that unhappy boy. Even today I cannot help thinking of him in terms of his grief and not in terms of what he has done to the world.

Those postal cards had a curious history. They indicated the extent to which Hitler has captured the imagination of some people. A rich Viennese industrialist — I do not know his name because he dealt through an intermediary — later made me an astonishing offer. He wanted to buy those two cards and was willing to pay 20,000 marks for them! I rejected the offer on the ground that I could not ethically make such a sale.

There is still another story in those two cards. Seventeen days after the collapse of the Schuschnigg government and the occupation of Austria by German troops, an agent of the Geheime Staatspolizei called at my home. At the time I was making a professional call, but my wife received him.
"I am informed" he said, "that you have some souvenirs of the Führer. I should like to see them". Acting sensibly, my wife made no protest. She found the two cards and handed them over. The agent scribbled a receipt which read: "Certificate for the safekeeping of two post cards (one of them painted by the hand of Adolf Hitler) confiscated in the house of Dr. Eduard Bloch". It was signed by the agent, named Grömer, who was previously unknown to us. He said I was to come to headquarters the following morning.

Almost as soon as the German troops entered the city the Geheime Staatspolizei took over the small hotel in Gesellenhausstrasse formally patronised by traveling clergymen. I went to this place and was received almost immediately. I was greeted courteously by Dr. Rasch, head of the local bureau. I asked him why these bits of property had been taken. Those were busy days for the Geheime Staatspolizei. There were many things to be looked after in a town of 120,000 people.

It [became apparent] that Dr. Rasch was not familiar with my case. He asked if I were under suspicion for any political activity unfavourable to the NSDAP. I replied that I was not; that I was a professional man with no political connections. Apparently as an afterthought, he asked if I were a non-Aryan. I answered without compromise: "I am a 100 percent Jewish". The change that came over him was instantaneous. Previously he had been businesslike but courteous. Now he became distant. The cards, he said, would be retained for safekeeping. Then he dismissed me, neither rising nor shaking hands as he had when I entered. So far as I know the cards are still in the hands of the Geheime Staatspolizei. I never saw them again.

When he left for Vienna, Adolf Hitler was destined to disappear from our lives for a great many years. He had no friends in Linz to whom he might return to visit and few with whom he might exchange correspondence. So, it was much later that we learned of his wretched poverty in those days, and of his subsequent moving to Munich in 1912 [actually, in May 1913].

We heard no news of his war service as a corporal with the 16th Bavarian Reserve Infantry. We heard nothing of his being wounded and gassed. Not until the beginning of his political career in 1920 were we again to get news of this quiet, polite boy who grew up among us.

Could this be Adolf?
Occasionally the local newspapers would run items about the group of political supporters that Hitler was gathering about himself in Munich; stories of their [attitude towards] the Jews, of the Versailles Peace, of nearly everything else. But no particular importance was attached to these activities. Not until twenty people died in the beer-hall putsch of November 8th 1923, did Hitler achieve local notoriety. Was it possible, I asked myself, that the man behind these things was the quiet boy I had known — the son of the gentle Klara Hitler?

Eventually even the mention of Hitler's name in the Austrian press was prohibited; still we continued to get word-of-mouth news of our former townsman: stories of the persecutions he had launched; of German rearmament; of war to come. This smuggled news reached responsive ears. A local Nazi party sprang up.

In theory such a party could not exist; it had been outlawed by the government. In practice authorities gave it their blessings. Denied uniforms, local Nazis adopted methods of identifying themselves to everyone. They wore white stockings. On their coats they wore a small wild flower, very much like the American daisy, and at Christmas time they burned blue candles in their homes.

We all knew these things, but nothing was done. From time to time local authorities would find a Nazi flag on Klara Hitler's grave in Leonding, and would remove it without ceremony. Still, the gathering storm in Germany seemed remote. It was quite a while before I got any first-hand word from Adolf Hitler. Then, in 1937, a number of local Nazis attended the party conference at Nuremberg. After the conference Hitler invited several of these people to come with him to his mountain villa at Berchtesgaden. The Führer asked for news of Linz. How was the town? Were people there supporting him? He asked for news of me. Was I still alive, still practicing? Then Hitler made a statement: "Dr. Bloch is a noble Jew (Edeljude). If all Jews were like him, there would be no Jewish question".

It is curious now to look back on the feeling of security that we had by virtue of living on the right side of an imaginary line, the international boundary. Surely Germany would not chance invading Austria. France was friendly. Occupation of Austria would be inimical to the interests of Italy. Oh, but we were blind, in those days! Then we were caught up in a breathless rush of events. It was with hope that we read of [Austrian chancellor] Schuschnigg's trip to Berchtesgaden; his plebiscite; his inclusion of Seyss-Inquart in his cabinet. Possibly we would ride through this crisis untouched. But hope was doomed to death within a very few hours. As soon as Seyss-Inquart was taken into the cabinet, buttons sprouted in every lapel: "One People • One Realm • One Leader."

The Austrian Anschluss ('union') with Germany
On Friday, March 11, 1938, the Vienna radio was broadcasting a program of light music. It was 7:45 at night. Suddenly the announcer broke in. The chancellor would speak. Schuschnigg came on the air and said that to prevent bloodshed he was capitulating to the wishes of Hitler. The frontiers would be opened, he ended his address with the words: "Gott schütze Oesterreich" may God protect Austria. Hitler was coming home to Linz.

https://youtu.be/gaK2SR4WFkw
Film of Linz and the Anschluss in 1938 in this remaining youtube video. This one has been permitted to remain despite Youtube censorship presumably because it is manipulatively interspersed with short clips of war and dead bodies to keep the hypnotised masses in line).

In the sleepless days that followed we clung to our radios. Troops were pouring over the border at Passau, Kufstein, Mittenwalde and elsewhere. Hitler himself was crossing the Inn River at Braunau, his birthplace. Breathlessly, the announcer told us the story of the march. The Führer himself would pause in Linz. The town went mad with joy. The reader should have no doubts about the popularity of Anschluss with Germany. The people favoured it. They greeted the onrushing tide of German troops with flowers, cheers and songs. Church bells rang. Austrian troops and police fraternized with the invaders and there was general rejoicing.

The public square in Linz, a block from my home, was a turmoil. All afternoon it rang with the Horst Wessel song and Deutschland über Alles. Planes droned overhead, and advance units of the German army were given deafening cheers. Finally the radio announced that Hitler was in Linz.

Advance instructions had been given to the townspeople. All windows along the procession route were to be closed. Each should be lighted. I stood at the window of my home facing Landstrasse. Hitler would pass before me.

The hero returns
Soon the procession arrived — the great, black Mercedes car, a six-wheeled affair, flanked by motorcycles. The frail boy I had treated so often, and whom I had not seen for thirty years — stood in the car. I had accorded him only kindness; what was he now to do to the people I loved? I peered over the heads of the crowd at Adolf Hitler.

Hitler arrives in Linz, his childhood home-town, greeted by jubilantly ecstatic crowds

It was a moment of tense excitement. For years Hitler had been denied the right to visit the country of his birth. Now that country belonged to him. The elation that he felt was written on his features. He smiled, waved, gave the Nazi salute to the people that crowded the street. Then, for a moment he glanced up at my window. I doubt that he saw me, but he must have had a moment of reflection. Here was the home of the 'noble Jew' (Edeljude) who had diagnosed his mother's fatal cancer; here was the consultation room of the man who had treated his sisters; here was the place he had gone as a boy to have his minor ailments attended.

It was a brief moment. Then the procession was gone. It moved slowly into the town square — once Franz Josef Platz, soon to be renamed Adolf Hitler Platz. He spoke from the balcony of the town hall. I listened on the radio. Historic words: Germany and Austria were now one.

Hitler established himself in the Weinzinger Hotel, particularly requesting an apartment with a view of the Poestling Mountain. This scene had been visible from the windows of the modest apartment where he spent his boyhood.

The following day he called in a few old acquaintances: Oberhummer, a local party functionary; Kubitschek the musician [he means August Kubizek, Hitler's close teenage friend]; Liedel, the watchmaker; Dr. Huemer, his former history teacher. It was understandable that he couldn't ask me, a Jew, to such a meeting; yet he did inquire after me. For a while I thought of asking for an audience, then decided this would be unwise.

Hitler arrived Saturday evening. Sunday he visited his mother's grave, and reviewed local Nazis as they marched before him. Not equipped with uniforms, they wore knickerbockers, ski pants or leather shorts. On Monday Hitler departed for Vienna.

Hitler in 1938 is able to visit his parents' grave for the first time since leaving Austria for Germany.

Soon we were brought to a sharp realization of how different things were to be.
There were 700 Jews in Linz. Shops, homes and offices of all these people were marked with the yellow-paper banners now visible throughout Germany; JUDE — Jew.

The first suggestion that I was to receive special favours came one day when the local Gestapo telephoned. I was to remove the yellow signs from my office and home. Then a second thing happened: my landlord, an Aryan, went to Gestapo headquarters to ask if I were to be allowed to remain in my apartment. "We wouldn't dare touch that matter," he was told. "It will be handled by Berlin." Hitler, apparently, had remembered.
Then something happened that made me doubt. For no reason whatsoever my son-in-law, a young physician, was jailed. No one was allowed to see him, and we received no news of him. My daughter went to the Gestapo. "[Do you think maybe] the Führer would like to know that the son-in-law of his old physician had been sent to prison?" she asked. She was treated rudely and brusquely for her temerity. Hadn't the signs been removed from her father's house? Wasn't that enough? Yet her visit must have had some effect. Within three weeks her husband was released.

My practice, which I believe was one of the largest in Linz, had begun to dwindle as long as a year before the arrival of Hitler. In this I might have seen a portent of things to come. Faithful older patients were quite frank in their explanations. The [new decrees introduced] by the Nazis was taking hold with the younger people. They would no longer patronise a Jew.

By decree, my active practice was limited to Jewish patients. This was another way of saying that I was to cease work altogether. For plans were in the making for ridding the town of all Jews. On November 10, 1938, the ruling was issued that all Jews were to leave Linz within forty-eight hours. They were to go to Vienna. The shock that attended this edict may be imagined. People who had lived all their lives in Linz were to sell their property, pack and depart in the space of two days.

I called at the Gestapo. Was I to leave? I was informed that an exception had been made in my case. I could remain. My daughter and her husband? Since they had already signified their intention of emigrating to America, they also could stay. But they would have to vacate their house. If there was room in my apartment they would be permitted to move there.

A frontispiece in a German schoolbook (c. 1940)
“Wer leben will, der kämpfe also, und wer nicht streiten will in dieser Welt des ewigen Ringens, verdient das Leben nicht.”
“Whoever wants to live must accept struggle also, and whoever wants no contention in this world of everlasting conflict,
does not deserve life.” -- Adolf Hitler. Mein Kampf.

No more favours
After thirty-seven years of active work my practice was at an end. I was permitted to treat only Jews. After the evacuation order there were but seven members of this race left in Linz. All were over eighty years of age.

It is understandable that my daughter and her husband would wish to take their life savings with them when they departed for America. So would I when my turn came to depart. Getting any local ruling on such a matter was out of the question. I knew that I couldn't see Adolf Hitler. Yet I felt that if I could get a message to him he would perhaps give us some help.

If Hitler himself was inaccessible perhaps one of his sisters would aid us. Klara was the nearest; she lived in Vienna. Her husband had died and she lived alone in a modest apartment in a quiet residential district. Plans were made for my daughter, Gertrude, to make the trip to Vienna to see her. She went to the apartment, knocked, but got no answer. Yet she was sure that there was someone at home.

She sought the aid of a neighbour. The neighbour explained that Frau Wolf (Klara Hitler) received no one except a few intimate friends. But this kind woman agreed to carry a message and report Frau Wolf's reply. My daughter waited. Soon the answer came back. Frau Wolf sent greetings and would do whatever she could. By good fortune Hitler was in Vienna that night for one of his frequent but unheralded visits to the opera. Frau Wolf saw him and, I feel sure, gave him the message. But no exception was made in our case. When our turn came we were forced to go penniless, like so many thousands of others.

How has Hitler treated an old friend — one who cared for his family with patience, consideration and charity? Let's sum up the favours:

I don't believe that another Jew in all Austria was allowed to keep his passport. Once food became scarce, no J was stamped on my ration card. This was most helpful because Jews today are allowed to shop only during restricted hours which are often inconvenient. Without the J on my card I could buy at any time. I was even given a ration card for clothes — something generally denied Jews.

If my relations with the Gestapo were not precisely cordial, I at least didn't suffer at their hands as did so many others. I was told on good authority, and I can well believe it, that the bureau in Linz had received special instructions from the chancellery in Berlin that I was to be accorded any reasonable favour.

It is possible, but unlikely, that my war record was particularly responsible for these small considerations. During the war I had charge of a 1,000-bed military hospital, and my wife supervised welfare work among the sick. I was twice decorated for this service.

Hitler rebuilds his Home City
Hitler still regards Linz as his true home, and the changes he has wrought are astonishing. The once quiet, sleepy town had been transformed by its "godfather" — an honorary title particularly dear to Hitler. Whole blocks of old houses have been pulled down to make way for modern apartment houses; thereby causing an acute but temporary housing shortage. A new theatre has gone up and a new bridge has been built over the Danube. The bridge, according to local legend, was designed by Hitler himself and plans were already completed at the time of Anschluss. The vast Hermann Göring Iron Works, built in the past two years, is just starting operations. To carry on this program of reconstruction whole trainloads of labourers have been imported: Czechs, Poles, Belgians.

Hitler has visited the city twice since the Anschluss, once at the time of the election which was to approve union with Germany; a second time secretly to see how reconstruction of the town was progressing. Each time he had stayed at the Weinzinger Hotel.

On the second visit the proprietor of the hotel was informed that Hitler's presence in town was not to be announced; that he would make his inspection tour in the morning. Delighted at having such an important personage in his house, the proprietor could not resist boasting. He telephoned several friends to give them the news. For this breach of discipline he paid heavily. His hotel was confiscated.

Many times I have been approached by Hitler biographers for notes on his youth. In most instances I have refused to speak. But I did talk to one of these men. He was a pleasant middle-aged gentleman from Vienna, who came from the government department headed by Rudolf Hess, of the NSDAP inner circle. He was writing an official biography. I gave him such details as I could recall, and my medical records which he subsequently sent to NSDAP party headquarters in Munich. He stayed in Linz and Braunau for several weeks; then the project terminated abruptly. I was told he had been sent to a concentration camp. Why, I do not know.

When it finally became my turn to leave Linz for America I knew that it would be impossible for me to take my savings with me. But the Gestapo had one more favour for me. I was to be allowed to take sixteen marks from the country instead of the customary ten!

The NSDAP organisation of physicians gave me a letter, of what value I do not know, which states that I was "worthy of recommendation". It went on to say that, because of my "character, medical knowledge and readiness to help the sick," I had won "the appreciation and esteem of my fellow men".

A party official suggested that I was expected to show some gratitude for all these favours. Perhaps a letter to the Führer? Before I left Linz on a cold, foggy November morning, I wrote it. I wonder if it was ever received. It read:
Your Excellency:

Before passing the border I want to express my thanks for the protection which I have received. In material poverty I am now leaving the town where I have lived for forty-one years; but I leave conscious of having lived in the most exact fulfillment of my duty. At sixty-nine I will start my life anew in a strange country where my daughter is working hard to support her family.

Yours faithfully,
Eduard Bloch
Dr Eduard Bloch, the Jewish family Doctor of Klara Hitler and her family in Linz.
He died of stomach cancer in New York, America on 1st June, 1945.
.. .. .. .. .. .. ..
https://dailyarchives.org/index.php/arc ... -physician

been-there
Propositions Moderator

Post by been-there »

Henrietta Hoffman with her brother Heinrich, her future husband Baldur von Schirach and Adolf Hitler

Henrietta von Schirach with Rudolf Hess and her husband Baldur von Schirach

Henrietta von Schirach with her husband Baldur von Schirach and Adolf Hitler

Henrietta von Schirach with her children

Henny Hoffmann reminiscing
about Adolf and Eva Hitler

–– Part One (1929-1935) ––

Henriette Hoffmann von Schirach was the daughter of Hitler’s photographer, Heinrich Hoffmann.
She knew Hitler from the time she was 7 years old and knew him quite well.
She wrote two full-length books of reminiscences.

Hitler, Erna Hoffman, Baldur von Schirach, Henrietta Hoffman, Hitler's sister Angela Raubal.

It was in 1929, when Eva Braun was 17, that her father sought employment for her. Photography was becoming a big business, even in Depression-era Germany. So Fritz Braun, Eva’s father, approached my father one day to ask that he give his daughter a job. The Braun family lived nearby and Eva could actually walk to work. My father told Herr Braun that he could bring his daughter around the next day. When he did so, my father liked Eva and immediately offered her a job.

At that time Eva hadn’t bleached her hair platinum blonde, she was still a natural blonde and her hair then was then cut fairly short. Her eyes were a pretty blue. And although Eva had been educated in a convent, she had already learned some feminine tricks: she had developed a helpless, appealing look that riveted men. She also had a girlish walk, where she moved her hips sufficiently that many men would turn around to gawk. Very quickly she became the clerk that all the male customers wanted to speak to. My father told me that Eva was known as “the sweet and pretty girl” behind the counter.

I was the same age as Eva and we became acquaintances and later, true friends for a few years. I had to admit to a feeling of envy since she was truly a very pretty girl who was generally the focus of all men’s eyes in my father’s shop.

Eva and I started bicycling together down the Leopoldstrasse, she was always active and athletic. We took some trips to the Bavarian lakes and I remember Eva doing elegant dives into the ice cold water. She had a beautiful figure and a nice way about her. I accompanied her to a few dance tournaments, where Eva proved such an adept dancer, that she won some dance prizes.

When Hitler first met her, he didn’t pay her special attention. At least nobody noticed anything out of the ordinary. Of course he thought she was pretty, but he was always careful to maintain a distance from any scandal. When he met Eva, he was 40 and already quite famous in Munich. Everybody knew of him. So he had to watch himself from any hint of behaving 'improperly' with a woman. And of course, he was living with Geli in Munich, the woman he so often proclaimed to be “the only woman I could ever love”.

Hitler moved slowly with Eva, whether through fear, necessity, or the fact that his evenings still belonged to Geli. His first move towards any intimacy were when he would give Eva tickets to the theatre. He often would give me tickets as well. I saw once in early 1930 Hitler giving Eva some theatre tickets. She thanked him with a little curtsy, which amused him.

Eva soon realized something: Hitler was considered a real 'somebody'. Already he was well-known and notorious. People all over Germany, and even in the world, were beginning to recognize him as a political celebrity. Most everyone in Munich, especially the women, found him to be interesting. I was in Hitler’s Mercedes often enough to see the women running down the streets, hoping to meet him. He impressed women and the newspapers reported daily on his activities.
No doubt he was impressive in those days. Munich was a small town still, and no one else in the city had a black Mercedes with a chauffeur. No one else carried a whip and gave hysterical speeches around the country. He did stand out from the ordinary. When Hitler wanted to, he could be deadly charming.

He started in the middle of 1930 to turn his charm in the direction of Eva, who was by then 18 years old, very young for the standards of the time. I saw as Hitler started to turn on the charm and give Eva compliments. He would say to her, “May I invite you to the opera tonight, Fräulein Braun? You see I am always surrounded by men, you have no idea how happy it would make me to sit with you this evening.” I could see Eva succumbing to his charm. And by this time, only 6 months after their first meeting, Hitler wasn’t flirting anymore with the other clerks in the shop. Eva had become his favorite, that was no secret, it was evidently clear.
She always took the theatre tickets he offered and she was patient. A fortune teller had once told her, “one day you will be world famous”.

Hitler knew all the employees of Hoffmann’s photography shop. All the girls there liked him and he always took an interest in their lives and problems. Some were probably in love with him. None were immune from his powerful personality. But Eva remained the girl he sought out most often and she did everything she could to encourage his attentions.

Eva Braun with her employer Heinrich Hoffman in the 1940's

One day during this period, I was in the shop by chance with Eva when Hitler happened to drop in. Hitler was alone this afternoon and sat silently on a stool in the corner of the shop, listening to me chat with Eva, who had her back turned. She didn’t know Hitler had walked in and had been sitting there for some minutes. He hadn’t greeted either of us when he walked in.

When Eva turned around and saw him unexpectedly, it was then that I sensed she was well on the road to falling in love with him. I don’t know when her admiration turned to love, but it was visible that day. Her face turned red and she giggled. Hitler was in no way in love with her then, she was just a girl he liked and could flirt with. It should never be forgotten that Hitler was flirting with her over the limit (über Gebühr), but she was taking it all much too seriously at this point. On this same day, Hitler again invited her to the theatre and to dinner. Naturally she accepted. She then asked him how it was that he always seemed to have theatre tickets.

Hitler said, “when there’s a bad day, when a person is depressed or has to struggle about something, you can count on the evening being nice. Because you have the tickets in your pocket. Yes, in fact, you have an insurance policy with theater tickets: if the day is bleak, you have the assurance that the music will be beautiful. Sometimes you have to resort to tricks to have a bit of joy”.

I wondered where Geli was when Hitler took Eva on a date. He didn’t take her out many times during the evening, but he did it increasingly. Geli also came to Hoffmann’s photograph studio and she would gaze at herself in the same mirror in the shop that Eva looked at every morning. But Geli was opera, Eva was operetta. It was only with Geli’s death in September, 1931, that marked the catalyst of change in the Hitler-Eva relationship. After Geli died, there was no more relaxation for Hitler. He was just surrounded with the deep voices of his male entourage. Hitler was now alone. Completely alone in the world. Eva immediately saw her chance. For a long while, she had been clever in trying to get Hitler’s attention. She would write him little notes or cards, and put them in his coat pocket. Whenever Hitler would come into the shop, he would always take off his overcoat, even in the winter. He hung his coat always in the same spot, alongside his rhino hide whip. Naturally Eva noticed this, and she started writing him little notes, which apparently became more and more daring. I saw Eva do this multiple times and so did my father. I even saw her hand Hitler something in an envelope one day. He gave her a brief, ever-so-subtle smile and immediately put the note in his pocket. I asked my father what in the world Eva was writing to Hitler. My father at first told me to mind my own business, but he later told me that they were “effusions of tenderness from a love struck girl”.

Hitler would never have told this to my father, he had heard it from his housemaid, Frau Winter. Whereas Frau Winter had liked the moody Geli, it was well known Eva was not a favorite of hers.

Frau Anny Brunner-Winter, Adolf Hitler's housekeeper in the apartment at Prinzregentenplatz 16, Munich.

I got to know Frau Winter very well after the war, when we were both in American hands for a period. She told me she read many of Eva’s love notes from this early period. Hitler kept them, she told me. He would leave them lying around his room, but when one once went missing, he was upset. It was then she sensed “Eva was more to him than the others”.

With Geli’s death, Eva started smuggling more notes into Hitler’s pockets. In them, she poured out her feelings for him, she built him up as a man. It was very clever of Eva, because it forced him to think of her when he was not around her. Of course he would find her notes in his pockets later on and naturally he read her girlish confessions of love for him. But nobody can remain grief stricken forever, nobody can stay sad constantly. Eventually the pain subsides, and it did for Hitler after Geli’s tragic end. Now he had more time to reflect upon Eva, her love letters, and her loyalty to him. Remember that Eva was a teenage girl and she was very pretty. She had never had a boyfriend since she had met Hitler, amazing as that may seem. He knew this and it must have flattered him that she was apparently saving herself for him.

She was writing to him that she loved him, that she would like to be at his side, that the greatest joy of her young life was when they would go to the opera together or talk in a café. All of this flattered Hitler, he was far from immune to flattery, and Eva’s flattery was completely genuine. So Hitler began to break down inside and relent to Eva’s adoration.

He was very mistrustful. He measured every single one of his steps very carefully, especially where women were concerned. He had no real personal friends, he never confided in anyone, and now he slowly realized that Eva was a person he could trust. Hitler’s trust was well justified because Eva had never gossiped about him, and whenever we would ask what went on with Herr Hitler, she would always answer with a wordless shrug. She kept his confidences and that was gold to him. In this way Eva bound herself to Hitler and became part of his life. She became the sum total of his private life and he was quietly devoted to her forever after.

A few weeks after the Geli tragedy, therefore late 1931, Hitler invited Eva to the Troubadour (a musical theatre in Munich), and afterwards took her to his apartment. That evening began their love affair, one in which eventually the entire world would want to know about. Eva never spoke to anyone in the shop about that first night of love with Hitler. But we could see she had changed and I could see that Hitler had changed towards her, once I spied them together again. I had known him since I was a little girl, I knew his manner. After Hitler and Eva became lovers in the full sense of the word, he was indeed different towards her. Now, he came into the shop less often (politics consumed him naturally at this time), but when he came in, he and Eva were more quiet together. Hitler didn’t flirt anymore with her and didn’t make a special effort with her. But when he would take his leave, I would watch them both lock eyes. They sometimes stood a little too close together, or she would whisper in his ear. Nobody else dared take such personal liberties with him, he could be cold towards anymore intruding on this space. Eva now positively glowed when around him. He was more distant, but still would let slip little endearments towards her.

The problem for Hitler when he first made love to Eva were that the possibilities for a prominent man in politics to have a healthy love life were very small. At that time, Hitler was a revolutionary politician who had enemies, lots of them. In 1931 it was almost impossible for Hitler to keep a very young girl as his mistress and not have people find out about it. He had a mania for secrecy, and this secrecy would bring Eva much suffering. The only place available to the couple was Hitler’s apartment. There he was assured privacy, but he and Eva still jumped through many hoops in order to spend a night alone.

For the whole year of 1932, Hitler was away electioneering. But whenever he returned to Munich, he and Eva met.

In Hitler’s apartment, one woman reigned after Geli’s death and that was Frau Anni Winter. She put great emphasis on “high morals” and decency. She was quite old-fashioned. Yet for some reason, Hitler seemed almost intimidated by her moralising. So he oftentimes had to act like a teenage boy smuggling his girlfriend into his parent’s home. Hitler was just that way: afraid to allow Frau Winter know the extent of his “friendship” with Eva.

Hitler decided his way around this was to purchase theatre tickets for Frau Winter and her husband every time he wanted to enjoy a night of love (Schäferstündchen) with his new mistress. But even then he couldn’t allow Eva to spend the entire night with him. The operas in Munich generally ended around midnight, so Eva had to be gone by then, before Herr and Frau Winter returned. Hitler, to his eternal credit, was always the gentleman to her afterwards. Without exception he made it a point to go with Eva back to her parent’s apartment building. Schreck would drive them and his discretion was total. Hitler insisted the car be parked a block away and would always pull his hat down low on his face. He would walk Eva back to the darkened entryway to the apartment. After a hasty goodbye kiss, he walked back to where Schreck waited with the car. All of this was necessary because Eva had strict parents who carefully watched over their daughter.

Eva indicated to me later that Hitler was very much annoyed by her parents and all the elaborate things he had to do in order to get her home after their rendezvous. He was accustomed to controlling everything and everybody. Adoring, crazy crowds were his life, he was surrounded with fervent zeal. She later told me he had said to her, “This silly intrigue in Munich has to end”. He meant having to walk her to the door of her parents house. For some reason, this bothered him, it irked him. But it didn’t take long for Hitler to find a solution: the Obersalzberg was an alternative place where their love affair could advance. Already in November, 1931, Eva was invited with Hitler to the old Haus Wachenfeld, later to become the Berghof.

Eva and Henny at the Berghof

Few people except me really knew then that Eva and Hitler had become lovers. No one on the mountain suspected anything as of yet. Hitler always took a group of girls with him to his home, it was all very innocent. This first visit was obviously carefully planned by Hitler so that he and Eva could be alone together. Hitler’s sister, Angela Raubal, ran the household there. I knew her and she was not what one might call a welcoming personality. It was no coincidence that Eva’s first weekend with Hitler was spent while Frau Raubal was in Linz, visiting a friend. It was Hitler who had persuaded her to go and it was Hitler who arranged the dates. Eva had only recently given herself to Hitler, theirs was a new relationship. The three nights she spent with him then must have cemented her feelings in a profoundly new way. I still remember her joy and rapture when she showed me the photographs she had taken of Hitler on this trip. I had never seen Hitler photos like this, and I had seen 10,000 of them from the hand of my father.

In one photo, Hitler is half smiling into Eva’s camera. It was an expression I had rarely seen on him.

I said to Eva, “it’s very obvious you are much in love with him. I suppose I should tell you ‘congratulations’.”
Eva did not reply, but she smiled in almost rapturous joy. I myself was stunned that Hitler had replaced Geli so swiftly. He had known many girls and women, but none besides Eva were ever invited up to the Obersalzberg and none besides Geli had ever spent the night there.

After this first weekend, there were many more invitations to Haus Wachenfeld. Sometimes Hitler managed to keep his sister away, so Eva could stay with him in the house. But if Frau Raubal was there, Eva had to stay at hotel and visit Hitler only hurriedly and “on the sly.” This rankled Hitler, just as the shenanigans in Munich had riled him.

Increasingly, Geli’s mother kept away from Wachenfeld when Eva was around. She finally packed and left in 1936 because of some indiscreet remarks she had made about Eva. She also had infuriated Hitler when she told him he was at least partially responsible for Geli’s tragic death. Hitler was not pleased, to say the least.

So gradually, in 1933 and 1934, Hitler and Eva became an established, albeit unconventional couple. The circle knew she was his “girl” and Hitler no longer ran about with any other woman. His outrageous flirting was similarly curtailed, though always in evidence. It was she that he returned home to, time and again. Anni Winter might not have cared for Eva, but she told me that by January, 1933, she knew she had to show her nothing but respect toward “the little shop girl”. I asked her why. Instantly she responded, “you know Hitler invited many women to his flat. But none of them ever stayed overnight except this new little girl”. She meant Eva Braun.

A few weeks before he was named Chancellor, Hitler took Eva to his apartment and for once, did not make her leave at the stroke of midnight. This time, he insisted she spend all evening with him, and she did. He immediately arranged that she have a room at her disposal there. While Eva never moved in, she was always with him when he was in Munich. This was all done so quietly that few noticed.

One humorous anecdote that Frau Winter told me in confinement (1945-46), was that whenever Eva would visit Hitler in his Munich apartment, she would bring along her little 'Bu Ko'. Frau Winter explained Eva’s nickname for her little case was 'Bu Ko' which was short for 'Bumsen Koffer' (shagging suitcase). In the little case, Eva would pack her overnight essentials, lingerie/nightgown and a change of clothes for the morning. From then on, it wasn’t necessary for Frau Winter to leave with theatre tickets, Hitler moved her and her husband into the adjoining apartment with their own entrance and key. Now he and Eva had privacy and discretion.

-- Frauen und Hitler: nach materialien von Henriette von Schirach. Herbig, 1983, pages 225-230
-- Anonymous

been-there
Propositions Moderator

Post by been-there »

Henny Hoffman (later Mrs. von Schirach) with her future husbabd at the Berghof chatting with Adolf Hitler

Henny Hoffman/von Schirach after the war in Allied captivity

Henny Hoffmann remniscing
about Eva and Adolf Hitler

Part Two — 1935-1944
—————
Gretl and Eva Braun picnic and sunbathe with their friends at the Berghof

It was after Eva’s second suicide attempt that Hitler had a forced meeting with Fritz Braun, Eva’s father.
It was Eva herself who told me about this encounter. Both of her parents were introduced to Hitler, but the father somehow managed to arrange a few moments alone with his daughter’s “boyfriend.” There were no witnesses to the meeting, which Hitler later told Eva was “the most unpleasant and most uncomfortable conversation of my entire life”.
She repeated this remark to me.

It was shortly after this encounter that Hitler purchased for Eva a small house on Wasserburgerstrasse in Munich. He also gave her 1,000 DM’s a month, an amount that guaranteed her a normal life. All of this was paid through my father and was kept a discreet secret. Hitler had explained to Eva and her father that he was not interested in marriage, he made that plain in a short and sweet manner. Eva knew marriage was not in the cards for them.

For Hitler, Eva had evolved into a comfy and cuddly mistress, without responsibility. He knew that she was completely loyal to him, that she adored him and that she would never bother him with a male rival. But the most important asset Eva had was that she didn’t want* any children. [*This is not accurate. Eva DID want children with Adolf, but she resigned herself that he didn't want them at that time and didn't pester him about it] Hitler esteemed this especially, because he didn’t want to be bothered with a son as his successor. I had often heard him say that any child of his would never come up to standards he had set.

Hitler himself remained selfish towards Eva, and she saw this and suffered because of it. It did hurt her that he really didn’t want to be tied down, by her, or by any other woman. He wanted to live in many different worlds, not just holed up with one mistress in Munich. That is not to say Hitler was ever unfaithful to her. That never happened and Eva grew secure in the knowledge that she was his only “port of call.”

But all over Germany Hitler had his various refuges, where Eva was not allowed entrance. And every place he went, there were always women around him, usually very attractive ones. Hitler never had any patience for plain girls, he simply ignored them all.
All these years while Eva waited in Munich, Hitler would flirt outrageously in various other locales of his: in Berlin, in Weimar, in Bayreuth and wherever else he travelled to.

Hitler also was occasionally jealous of Eva, and she told me he sometimes could get his dander up about other men. He wanted her to have a nice time in his absences and enjoy herself. But he could also fuss about this if some handsome young man was hanging around her.

One year before the war, Eva travelled with her sister and her mother to Stockholm. At the Berghof, she screened a color movie she had made there. In fact, I sat next to Hitler and her while she showed the home movie.
Hitler said he should have sent a bodyguard with her to protect her, he seemed very worried about her gallivanting about in a foreign country.
Eva looked at him with exasperation and said, “Nobody knows who I am, what on earth could anybody do to me?” Hitler continued to grumble, however.

The evenings around the fireplace at the Berghof were something I took part in countless times. The usual group would assemble: Hitler and Eva, Speer and sometimes his wife, Dr. and Frau Morell, Hoffmann and my stepmother and occasionally Eva’s high strung sister, Gretl.

Gretl Braun and Adolf share a knowing look. Brückner in the background

Eva's younger sister Gretl Braun who later became Mrs Fegelein

Eva rarely took place in the general chit chat there. She only really talked to Hitler in a whisper and no one could ever hear what they were talking about. Once I heard her chiding him about a tie he was wearing, another time he told her to have more patience about something or other. She and Hitler did love discussing movie stars, American films and Hollywood gossip, this they both reveled in.

During the nightly movies, the big screen would be lowered by an adjutant. Hitler sat with Eva like a teenage boy, holding her hand throughout the movies. If it hadn’t been such an unusual scene, I suppose it would have been cute.

Over the years Hitler gave Eva many gifts, but I never saw her wear expensive jewelry. Hitler would select something from a catalogue given to him by Bormann and then present it to Eva. Her jewelry was inconspicuous, it was not lavish. Eva’s favorite piece that Hitler gave her was a gold bracelet which I rarely saw her without. She always wore it on her right wrist.

I asked her about it once and she said Hitler had given it to her in 1934 “after a disagreement.”
I said, shocked, “You and he argue?”
She said with lowered eyes, “we did that time. He was contrite and then gave me the bracelet, so I am very fond of it.”
She did not elaborate what their “argument” had been about.

In the late 1930’s I sometimes sat with Eva in her room at the Berghof. It was a comfy room with a white desk, blue/white curtains and a blue sofa bed which usually had pillows thrown on top of it. Above the sofa bed was a painting of a nude girl reclining. It looked conspicuously like Eva herself. When she saw me staring at the painting she said curtly, “don’t even ask about it. He likes it.”

Eva lived at the Berghof when Hitler was away and did little else but pine for him. She could have read any great book she wanted, everything was at her disposal, but she read nothing but cheap novels. She could have gotten into any of the cars at her disposal and visited the beautiful city of Salzburg, a half an hour away. Or she could have driven farther and visited the theaters of beautiful Vienna. But these things meant nothing to her. She just sat there and waited and life seemed to pass her by when Hitler was busy elsewhere.

It was a big disappointment to Eva that she was living with a man who was often away, very mistrustful and very difficult. Eva had always wanted to soften him and loosen him up, to make him more human. She succeeded somewhat, but not remotely the way she had envisioned. For instance, she confessed to me that she had finally convinced Hitler to wear pajamas. This was after many years of nagging on her part. Before 1938, when he was nearly 50, he had insisted on wearing a flannel nightshirt, which Eva despised.

I visited the Berghof often in the period 1936-1939 when Hitler and Eva were there together. Eva always looked absolutely beautiful for him. Everything about her hair, clothes and make up was perfect. She changed her clothes several times a day, she had the hairdresser come and fix or tint her hair.
But Hitler didn’t much care about this, he liked several of her dresses most of all and would take her hand gently, saying, “See, this black dress is your best. Just buy 10 dresses with this same pattern and wear it every day!”
Eva gave him a look of pity and said, “that really is a ridiculous notion”. But Hitler was serious.

Whenever guests arrived, Eva had to remain in her room and sometimes I kept her company. She complained to me bitterly that she never got to meet the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, in particular. On that day Hitler had one of drivers take Eva and I to the town of Berchtesgaden down below, where we had lunch and had to wait for the couple to leave.

As for Hitler and Eva at the Berghof, there isn’t much to say. They still pretended to be just friends, which was an unnecessary ruse, since everyone was privy to the truth. Hitler was quite tactile with her in our small group. He constantly was stroking her arm or holding her hand, oftentimes under the table. He used Austrian expressions of endearment and fussed over her conspicuously, especially as the years rolled by.
Eva was not like him in this regard. She only showed her feelings for Hitler through her eyes. I never saw her initiate any physical contact with him, aside from removing a piece of lint from his suit or gently tugging on his sleeve.

The closest I ever saw them truly engage one another as a romantic couple was in 1937 or 1938.
I brought to the Berghof a big jigsaw puzzle with me. I don’t know what prompted me to bring it, but I did. Hitler saw it and became quite enthusiastic. He immediately grabbed the puzzle and took it the great table overlooking the Berghof window. Hitler himself put together the entire border, all by himself. Then others in our group assembled around to help.
We were all up until long past midnight, busily engaged in the puzzle. Hitler was excited as a boy when he himself finally put in the last piece, to complete the jigsaw puzzle. It was David Copperfield on his Way to School.
It was then — and only then — when I saw something of a romantic nature pass between Hitler and Eva.
The rest of the group slowly filtered away from the great table, it was almost 1:00 in the morning. I saw Hitler and Eva standing alone together about 15 meters from me, in profile. He cupped Eva’s face in his hands and drew her towards him, so her forehead rested against his chest. He placed his hands behind her neck, caressing her for just a moment.
Then Eva looked up and saw I was watching them.
She immediately drew back, as if they had committed a crime. I smiled and put an index finger over my mouth, as if to say, “don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone.” I felt sad for her at that moment, that the two of them still could not behave normally when another set of eyes was on them. It was something that had taken 10 seconds, but Eva was so accustomed to their playacting that she looked guilty.

The last time I saw Eva was in 1944 on a visit to the Berghof. Hitler was not there, since I had been banished from the mountain home since our argument the previous summer.
Eva took me to her room to show me some of her clothes. She was as pretty as ever, still athletic, slim and dressed to perfection. Her closet was a marvel, and she showed me a book where she kept every receipt, and a record of where she had purchased every dress, skirt, blouse or pair of shoes. I thought it was a ridiculous and pointless waste of time, but didn’t say so.

Stasi and Negus, her two terriers, sat to the right and to the left of their mistress. She smoked hastily and nervously, as she always did when Hitler was absent.
We talked for a long time. Here was Eva, who had this beautiful house at her disposal, who had the Munich house and whose lover was the most powerful and feared man in Europe. I asked her if she missed him.
Eva looked down and pretended to study her nails. “Of course,” she said sadly. Then she proceeded to tell me that the highlight of her day was at 10:00 at night. That was the time he called her on the phone every single evening. He would ask about her day and she would tell him everything. She told me that the subject of the war never came up.
“He needs a rest from all that,” she told me.

Eva herself was not immune from the hell of the war, nor was I. We both had lost many school friends at the front, most of the boys we both had gone to school with had fallen at the front or were missing.
Finally I said to her, “Eva, tell me, what are you going to do when the war ends?”
She answered me quickly: “When the war ends? You mean when we lose the war?”
She looked up at me with her blue eyes and ample eyelashes.
“If we lose the war, I will die with him,” she said very softly.
Then she got a bottle of Cognac out of her closet and placed two glasses before us.
“I know what awaits he and I if we lose this war.”
I tried to placate her. “But Eva,” I said to her, “it wouldn’t be hard for you to go to a foreign country. You know that you were never in any official photos, hardly anyone knows your face. You could live under a false name and flee to Spain or Portugal!”
Eva immediately sprung up: “Never – I would never do that.”
She looked at me seriously. “Do you really think I would let him die alone? I will remain with him until the very last moment, I’ve already decided that and nobody can change my mind about it.”
I had nothing to say, how could I answer this? Eva also expected no response.

She had always been shunted away when anyone important came to visit Hitler. I myself saw her eat her meals alone, always with a framed photo of Hitler sitting in front of her. But now, if he was to die, she would then be something, and people would know of her forever.
I couldn’t believe she would actually embrace a Wagnerian tragedy like this. Dying with Hitler would only mean the end of her life, her young life. But we didn’t speak any more about it. We finished the cognac, I hugged her and said farewell.
We would never meet again.

From: Frauen und Hitler: nach materialien von Henriette von Schirach. Herbig: 1983, pages 233-239.
English translation by Putschgirl, who was banned from Tumblr and her account deleted.
-- Anonymous

Huntinger

Post by Huntinger »

been-there wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:33 pm
Henny Hoffman (later Mrs. von Schirach) with her future husbabd at the Berghof chatting with Adolf Hitler
Thank you BT very interesting post. Just a little addition regarding the groom. I do believe the man wearing the Hitler Jugend Uniform was Baldur Benedikt von Schirach (9 May 1907 – 8 August 1974). Baldur Benedikt von Schirachwas a Nationalsozialist Deutsche politician who is best known for his role as the nazi party national youth Führer and head of the Hitler youth from 1931 to 1940. He later served as gauleiter and reichsstatthalter ("reich governor") of Vienna. After world war ii, he was convicted of crimes against humanity in the Nürnberg trials and sentenced to 20 years in prison.

English was the first language he learned at home and he did not learn to speak Deutsche until the age of five. He had two Schwestern, Viktoria and the opera singer Rosalind Von Schirach, and a bruder, Karl Benedict Von Schirach.

On 31 march 1932 Schirach married the 19-year-old Henriette Hoffmann, the daughter of Heinrich Hoffmann, Adolf Hitler's personal photographer and sometime friend. Schirach's family was vehemently opposed to this marriage, but Hitler insisted. Gregor Strasser dismissively described Schirach as "a young effeminate aristocrat" upon whom Hitler bestowed both Henriette and the Hitler Jugend position. Through this relationship, Schirach became part of Hitler's inner circle. The young couple were gern gesehene guests at the "Berghof".
In the photo below he is wearing a uniform similar to the one above.

𝕴𝖈𝖍 𝖇𝖊𝖗𝖊𝖚𝖊 𝖓𝖎𝖈𝖍𝖙𝖘...𝕾𝖔𝖟𝖎𝖆𝖑 𝖌𝖊𝖍𝖙 𝖓𝖚𝖗 𝕹𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓𝖆𝖑

𝕳𝖚̈𝖓𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖗

been-there
Propositions Moderator

Post by been-there »

What appears to be the complete collection of Mrs. Eva Hitler's colour and b/w film has been uploaded to YouTube.

There is a lot of film at the beginning of her sister Gretl Braun and their dogs. Followed by film of picnics with their parents and their parent's friends.
Later we get to see the film shot at the Berghof which most are familiar with.

Can't find reel 7 of 8