Treblinka station master Franciszek Zabecki
, writes that six transports “went via Treblinka in transit” in August-September 1943:
- “On 18 August 1943, a transport of Jews ‘PJ 201’ (32 wagons) went to Lublin from Bialystok via Treblinka.
- On 19 August, the transport ‘PJ 203’ (40 wagons) went to Lublin from Bialystok via Treblinka.
- On 19 August, the last transport of Jews from Bialystok, ‘PJ 204’ (39 wagons), arrived at Treblinka.
- On 24 August, transport ‘PJ 209’ (9 wagons) went to Lublin via Treblinka.
- On 8 September, transport ‘PJ 211’ (31 wagons) was sent to Lublin, and
- On 17 September, transport ‘PJ 1025’ (50 wagons) of Jews from Minsk Litewski was sent to Chelm (in fact to Sobibór).”
According to Reitlinger, waybills from the Königsberg office of the German State Railways reveal that five special trains, comprising in total 266 cars, left Bialystok for Treblinka between August 21 and 27, 1943. A railway schedule cited by Z. Łukaszkiewicz lists 8 planned “special trains for the transport of resettlers running from Białystok to Małkinia, destination Treblinka,” comprised of 303 cars.
24,000 Białystok Juden– i.e. all from the evacuated ghetto, considering the losses of lives in connection with the failed ghetto uprising at the time – were brought to Majdanek. Treblinka served as a stop-over for transports with the Lublin district as their destination. It would appear that the KZ II Treblinka had delousing facilities. These people were trouble and could be given work permits to work in the RKU or Ostland hence the incarceration.
While some people were working on farms, the skill set was outside most Juden being city dwellers for the most part and business people. Many were transported to drain the swamps of Pripyat.
On May 19, 1944, the German-Jewish New York weekly Aufbau reported:
“An eyewitness, who arrived in Switzerland, described there how thousands of Polish and other Jews were sent to the Konskie swamp in Poland in order to drain the marshland. Hundreds of these Jews die daily from malaria and malnourishment, but their thinned-out columns are replenished by a steady influx of new arrivals from France. The German military authorities use the drained marshland for the construction of fortifications in different parts of occupied Poland.”